From: Zeno on
Hi there,

I'd like some advice, we have an old application running Win2k SP4
with IIS that we need to perform and inplace upgrade to Win2k3 with
IIS.

Can anyone advice if there's any issues there may be with the IIS
after upgrade?

The reason is because its a legacy applicaitonn and we don't have the
source anymore - and with Win2k expiring soon and we'll only be using
the app for another year or so were just going to upgrade the server
to Win2k3 to make things easy rather than 2008.

Any advice ?

Cheers...........
From: Chris M on
On 23/04/2010 07:45, Zeno wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'd like some advice, we have an old application running Win2k SP4
> with IIS that we need to perform and inplace upgrade to Win2k3 with
> IIS.
>
> Can anyone advice if there's any issues there may be with the IIS
> after upgrade?
>
> The reason is because its a legacy applicaitonn and we don't have the
> source anymore - and with Win2k expiring soon and we'll only be using
> the app for another year or so were just going to upgrade the server
> to Win2k3 to make things easy rather than 2008.

If you find you have problems after the upgrade, you may have to run IIS
in IIS 5.0 compatibility mode to get your legacy software to work correctly.

From: Dan on

"Zeno" <momo2804(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I'd like some advice, we have an old application running Win2k SP4
> with IIS that we need to perform and inplace upgrade to Win2k3 with
> IIS.
>
> Can anyone advice if there's any issues there may be with the IIS
> after upgrade?
>
> The reason is because its a legacy applicaitonn and we don't have the
> source anymore - and with Win2k expiring soon and we'll only be using
> the app for another year or so were just going to upgrade the server
> to Win2k3 to make things easy rather than 2008.
>
> Any advice ?
>
> Cheers...........

Do you really need to upgrade? Windows 2000 will happily keep on running -
it's just the support that is expiring, not the OS. Is the application on
your intranet, or public? If it's an intranet app then there's no real need
to upgrade, so why not just keep it on Windows 2000? Given that you're only
going to use the application for another year or so there seems little
reason to upgrade the system for the sake of it.

Could you take a copy of the system as is to another server, say a virtual
machine on an existing system, and test an upgrade to Windows 2003 to see if
it breaks the application?

--
Dan

From: Grant Taylor on
On 04/23/10 05:51, Dan wrote:
> <snip>

I agree with and second both of Dan's comments. If you are going to be
retiring the server in the next year or to, and it's not at risk
(protected behind one or more routers and / or firewalls), I'd be
tempted to leave it alone. That is unless there is an untold external
influence prompting the upgrade.

I also agree that going the VM route is a good way to test the upgrade.
Heck, if the (physical) server is 8 or so years old, chances are good
that a VM will perform better on new hardware than the old physical box.

Grant. . . .
From: Zeno on
Thanks for all the replies.

Points taken actually the IIS website is an internal application and
its running on a VM. So I'm going to take a snapshot of the VM and
then do the upgrade but just wanted to get some insight into any
potential issues with the IIS after the upgrade before hand.