From: EG on
We use Basic Authentication for several application on our IIS web sites. We
also have the IISADMPWD virtual directory configured to allow users to change
their passwords when they expire.

We are looking at moving our web site to IIS 7 but there doesn't seem to be
any support for IISADMPWD. The most I was able to find was a work-around of
copying files from an IIS 5 or 6 server. Is this the supported solution from
MS?
From: "WenJun Zhang[msft]" on
Below is the detailed info on this:

Password change feature using IISADMPWD is NOT available on a Windows 2008
server (IIS 7.0)

- The IISADMPWD feature has been removed from IIS 7 (Windows 2008) and is
no longer supported.
- The reason behind it is that password change functionality is not related
to IIS. It was provided at the time when account management wasn't offered
elsewhere.

- Since IIS 7 is a complete rewrite in terms of architecture/code as
compared to its predecessors, it was decided by the product group to remove
this functionality. This however has been incorporated in Exchange and ISA.

Though it is NOT supported, here is the workaround:

1. On your IIS7 (Windows 2008) server, navigate to
c:\windows\system32\inetsrv and create a folder named IISADMPWD
2. Copy the files from the IISADMPWD folder from an IIS 6.0 (Windows 2003)
server and paste them under the IISADMPWD folder you just created.
3. Open IIS Manager, and expand [server name] > Sites
4. Right click on default website and select Add Virtual Directory
5. Type IISADMPWD for the alias and "c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\IISADMPWD"
for the physical path then click OK
6. Right click on the IISADMPWD virtual directory and select Convert to
Application

7. The Add application dialog box opens, click on the select button and
choose MSExchangeOWAAppPool
8. Click OK twice to return to IIS7 Manager
9. Click on IISADMPWD folder and on the right pane, click on Authentication
10. Make sure Windows Authentication is set to Enabled, click OK (The
Authentication can be changed to Basic or Anonymous as well)
11. Close IIS7 Manager
12. Restart IIS (iisreset)

You could also check KB 833734 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833734) if
you run into any issues after following the above steps.

Hope the information helps,

Sincerely,

WenJun Zhang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Please note that the newsgroups are staffed weekdays with a goal to provide
ONE BUSINESS DAY RESPONSE to all posts.
If this response time does not meet your needs, please contact CSS for more
immediate assistance:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone>.
Feedback on your service and satisfaction can be posted to:
from the web interface: Partner Feedback
from your newsreader: microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback.We
look forward to hearing from you!
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

From: EG on
You say that it was offered originally becuase "...account management was
offered elsewhere." This implies that it is offered elsewhere now. Can you
point me to where I could find a way to provide password change functionality
"elsewhere"?

From: "WenJun Zhang[msft]" on
Hi,

On Exchange 2007, OWA starts to builtin support password change feature.
IISADPMWD is no longer required. That's why it's excluded by IIS7 Windows
2008. Please refer to:

Configuring the Change Password Feature in Outlook Web Access

"The IISADPMWD functionality that is discussed in this topic is included
with Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 in Windows Server 2003. The
IISADPMWD functionality is not included with or supported in Windows Server
2008 or in Internet Information Services (IIS) 7.0. The Change Password
feature in Exchange Server 2007 Outlook Web Access does not require the
IISADMPWD functionality. "

Thanks.

Sincerely,

WenJun Zhang

Microsoft Online Community Support

suggestions about how we can improve the support we provide to you.

From: EG on
This information seems to apply to Outlook Web Access. We are not using
Outlook Web Access. Is there a way to allow a user to reset their expired
password via a web page other than using OWA?