From: Donar on
Good evening, Ladies and Gents,

I am in the process of relocating IIS5/Win2k/Jet/ASPclassic to IIS7/
VistaUltimate/SQLServer/C#.

I have a bunch of old classic ASP files in the format
http://sub.domain.com/folder/shortname.asp
which I want to redirect permanently (301) to a file
http://www.domain.com/longname.asp

As far as I understand, the redirect offered by IIS7 applies only to
whole Servers or whole folders. But I never did a redirect and am
quite unsecure about them. That's why I look forward to an answer from
a pro in this NG.

So: how would I go on and permanently redirect specific files to
(differently named) files in a different location? (Well still the
same server, but another subdomain than before.)

Thanks very much in advance!
From: Donar on
Just correcting a typo: the new files have the extension ".aspx", of
course.
Still not used to them ;)
From: Dooza on
Donar wrote:
> Good evening, Ladies and Gents,
>
> I am in the process of relocating IIS5/Win2k/Jet/ASPclassic to IIS7/
> VistaUltimate/SQLServer/C#.
>
> I have a bunch of old classic ASP files in the format
> http://sub.domain.com/folder/shortname.asp
> which I want to redirect permanently (301) to a file
> http://www.domain.com/longname.asp
>
> As far as I understand, the redirect offered by IIS7 applies only to
> whole Servers or whole folders. But I never did a redirect and am
> quite unsecure about them. That's why I look forward to an answer from
> a pro in this NG.
>
> So: how would I go on and permanently redirect specific files to
> (differently named) files in a different location? (Well still the
> same server, but another subdomain than before.)
>
> Thanks very much in advance!

You can redirect on a file level too, you do this in IIS as you would a
folder or site.

Dooza
From: Donar on
(Not sure if my previous post was swallowed by the UseNet, apologies
in advance if this is becoming a doublette)

Thanks for your answer, Dooza. However, I fail to see how I can
manipulate a file in IIS7, since
IIS7 > Sites > MyServerName > FolderInQuestion
does not provide any files on which I could operate.

Am I missing something?

Best regards
From: Dooza on
Donar wrote:
> (Not sure if my previous post was swallowed by the UseNet, apologies
> in advance if this is becoming a doublette)
>
> Thanks for your answer, Dooza. However, I fail to see how I can
> manipulate a file in IIS7, since
> IIS7 > Sites > MyServerName > FolderInQuestion
> does not provide any files on which I could operate.
>
> Am I missing something?

<blush>not actually used IIS7, but in IIS6 when you click on the folder
in the tree, the panel next to it shows a list of all the files, you
then right click on the file, select properties, and do what you need to
do.

I assumed it would be the same in IIS7.

I have Windows 7 at home so will get IIS installed and see whats going on.

Cheers,

Steve