From: Marts on
I have a couple of questions about using Outlook with an IMAP email account.

I just set it up on our PC (shared between me and my wife but logging in under
different profiles). Now, she's been using our ISP's webmail service for some
time now as she's been moving between her laptop and this computer. So I decided
to configure Outlook for IMAP operation to see if the same email base can be
shared between the two or more machines.

It auto configured OK (it detected IMAP first). It then downloaded a lot of
messages that were stored on the server side of things.

I had a look at one then I deleted it. Instead of it going to the deleted items
folder Outlook merely put a strikethrough or a line through the message title
which you see in folder view or whatever it's called.

How does Outlook delete it in the conventional sense?

Thanks.

From: Gordon on

"Marts" <marts(a)ymail.com> wrote in message
> I have a couple of questions about using Outlook with an IMAP email
> account.
>
> I just set it up on our PC (shared between me and my wife but logging in
> under
> different profiles). Now, she's been using our ISP's webmail service for
> some
> time now as she's been moving between her laptop and this computer. So I
> decided
> to configure Outlook for IMAP operation to see if the same email base can
> be
> shared between the two or more machines.
>
> It auto configured OK (it detected IMAP first). It then downloaded a lot
> of
> messages that were stored on the server side of things.
>
> I had a look at one then I deleted it. Instead of it going to the deleted
> items
> folder Outlook merely put a strikethrough or a line through the message
> title
> which you see in folder view or whatever it's called.
>
> How does Outlook delete it in the conventional sense?
>
> Thanks.

It doesn't. That's how IMAP works. (It's different in Outlook 2010 I'm
told).
It's because an IMAP account mirrors what's on the server.
You can either choose to hide messages marked for deletion or you can set
Outlook to purge messages (that's how you get rid of them) with various
settings, ie on exit, or moving to another folder etc.

From: neo on
Look under the Edit or View menu for Purge messages. This actually deletes
those marked with that strikethrough.

From: Marts on
neo wrote...

> Look under the Edit or View menu for Purge messages. This actually deletes
> those marked with that strikethrough.

Thanks. When it deletes them what is done with the messages? Normally they go to
the "Deleted Items" folder. But I don't know if there is one under the IMAP ones
(I'm not on that computer at the moment so I can't check what is there).

So far, though, I'm happy with how it's working. Ages ago I tried it with Gmail.
It didn't seem to work all that well, the way that it does folders and so on
looked weird from what I recall.

My aim is to get as familiar with how it works so when my wife migrates over to
Outlook from Eudora, I can set her email up the same way. That way, if she has
problems I'll be able to help her.
From: Marts on
I just set up a second account. POP3 retrieves mail from one server. Outgoing
SMTP server is pointed to the one that is an IMAP one.

However, emails send via that account are stored in the personal folders/sent
items folder.

How do I get them to be stored under the IMAP folders?

I'd like to be able to do this as it will then reflect all outbound mail on
whatever computer I use this service on. Otherwise, the sent emails stay on the
one PC in the Personal Folderse/Sent Items folder.