From: Serkan on
I have a custom board that uses usb and has 2 fpgas (spartan3 200 -
spartan 3 4000)
I am using Xilinx platform cable USB II to program the fpga
I am using windows xp pro
I am using Xilinx 9.1.03i

When I press initialize chain button in impact tool some popup
question says=>
"There are many unknown devices being detected. Press yes to continue
or Press NO to stop"
If I say yes. It finds too many devices (above 100)
If I say no it gives an error => ERROR: IMPACT:585 A problem may exist
in the hardware configuration. Check that the cable, scan chain, ...
Sometimes impact tool shows the chain with 1 device missing out of 4
(2 fpga 2 prom )

There was no problem with the programming before. I programmed some
other fpga and then it started. So I do not think that it is a
hardware related problem on my side.
I can program the fpga, if i disconnect and connect again (many times)
my custom board and platform cable and change the location of the usb
they are connected in my computer.

------------------------------------------------IMPACT COMMAND LINE
Welcome to iMPACT
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -bs
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -bs
GUI --- Auto connect to cable...
// *** BATCH CMD : setCable -port auto
AutoDetecting cable. Please wait.
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT1).
Checking cable driver.
Driver windrvr6.sys version = 8.1.1.0. WinDriver v8.11 Jungo (c) 1997
- 2006 Build Date: Oct 16 2006 X86 32bit SYS 12:35:07, version = 811.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT2).
Checking cable driver.
Driver windrvr6.sys version = 8.1.1.0. WinDriver v8.11 Jungo (c) 1997
- 2006 Build Date: Oct 16 2006 X86 32bit SYS 12:35:07, version = 811.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT3).
Checking cable driver.
Driver windrvr6.sys version = 8.1.1.0. WinDriver v8.11 Jungo (c) 1997
- 2006 Build Date: Oct 16 2006 X86 32bit SYS 12:35:07, version = 811.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT4).
Checking cable driver.
Driver windrvr6.sys version = 8.1.1.0. WinDriver v8.11 Jungo (c) 1997
- 2006 Build Date: Oct 16 2006 X86 32bit SYS 12:35:07, version = 811.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB21).
Checking cable driver.
Driver xusbdfwu.sys version: 1021 (1027).
Driver windrvr6.sys version = 8.1.1.0. WinDriver v8.11 Jungo (c) 1997
- 2006 Build Date: Oct 16 2006 X86 32bit SYS 12:35:07, version = 811.
Cable PID = 0008.
Max current requested during enumeration is 300 mA.
Cable Type = 3, Revision = 0.
Cable Type = 0x0004.
Setting cable speed to 6 MHz.
Cable connection established.
Firmware version = 2301.
CPLD file version = 0012h.
CPLD version = FFFEh.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time = 2 sec.
Attempting to identify devices in the boundary-scan chain
configuration...// *** BATCH CMD : Identify
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
Identifying chain contents ....'1': : Manufacturer's ID =Xilinx
xc3s4000, Version : 0
INFO:iMPACT:1777 -
Reading C:/Xilinx91i/spartan3/data/xc3s4000.bsd...
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device xc3s4000 successfully.
'2': : Manufacturer's ID =Xilinx xcf32p, Version : 15
INFO:iMPACT:1777 -
Reading C:/Xilinx91i/xcfp/data/xcf32p.bsd...
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device xcf32p successfully.
'3': : Manufacturer's ID =Xilinx xc3s200, Version : 0
INFO:iMPACT:1777 -
Reading C:/Xilinx91i/spartan3/data/xc3s200.bsd...
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device xc3s200 successfully.
'4': : Manufacturer's ID =Unknown
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device UNKNOWN successfully.
'5': : Manufacturer's ID =Unknown
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device UNKNOWN successfully.
'6': : Manufacturer's ID =Unknown
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device UNKNOWN successfully.
'7': : Manufacturer's ID =Unknown
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device UNKNOWN successfully.
'8': : Manufacturer's ID =Unknown
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device UNKNOWN successfully.
'9': : Manufacturer's ID =Unknown
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device UNKNOWN successfully.
'10': : Manufacturer's ID =Unknown
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device UNKNOWN successfully.
'11': : Manufacturer's ID =Unknown
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device UNKNOWN successfully.
'12': : Manufacturer's ID =Unknown
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device UNKNOWN successfully.
'13': : Manufacturer's ID =Unknown
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device UNKNOWN successfully.
ERROR:iMPACT:585 - A problem may exist in the hardware configuration.
Check that the cable, scan chain, and power connections are intact,
that the specified scan chain configuration matches the actual
hardware, and
that the power supply is adequate and delivering the correct
voltage.

PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time = 8 sec.
// *** BATCH CMD : identifyMPM
From: Uwe Bonnes on
Serkan <oktem(a)su.sabanciuniv.edu> wrote:
> I have a custom board that uses usb and has 2 fpgas (spartan3 200 -
> spartan 3 4000)
> I am using Xilinx platform cable USB II to program the fpga
> I am using windows xp pro
> I am using Xilinx 9.1.03i

> When I press initialize chain button in impact tool some popup
> question says=>
> "There are many unknown devices being detected. Press yes to continue
> or Press NO to stop"
> If I say yes. It finds too many devices (above 100)
> If I say no it gives an error => ERROR: IMPACT:585 A problem may exist
> in the hardware configuration. Check that the cable, scan chain, ...
> Sometimes impact tool shows the chain with 1 device missing out of 4
> (2 fpga 2 prom )

> There was no problem with the programming before. I programmed some
> other fpga and then it started. So I do not think that it is a
> hardware related problem on my side.
> I can program the fpga, if i disconnect and connect again (many times)
> my custom board and platform cable and change the location of the usb
> they are connected in my computer.

Test the adapter with some other board. If the other board doesn't program,
fix the adapter. But the error looks like some error in your JTAG chain.

Bye
--
Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
From: Serkan on
On Sep 8, 4:09 pm, Uwe Bonnes <b...(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-
darmstadt.de> wrote:
> Serkan <ok...(a)su.sabanciuniv.edu> wrote:
> > I have a custom board that uses usb and has 2 fpgas  (spartan3 200 -
> > spartan 3 4000)
> > I am using Xilinx platform cable USB II to program the fpga
> > I am using windows xp pro
> > I am using Xilinx 9.1.03i
> > When I press initialize chain button in impact tool some popup
> > question says=>
> > "There are many unknown devices being detected. Press yes to continue
> > or Press NO to stop"
> > If I say yes. It finds too many devices (above 100)
> > If I say no it gives an error => ERROR: IMPACT:585 A problem may exist
> > in the hardware configuration. Check that the cable, scan chain, ...
> > Sometimes impact tool shows the chain with 1 device missing out of 4
> > (2 fpga 2 prom )
> > There was no problem with the programming before. I programmed some
> > other fpga and then it started. So I do not think that it is a
> > hardware related problem on my side.
> > I can program the fpga, if i disconnect and connect again (many times)
> > my custom board and platform cable and change the location of the usb
> > they are connected in my computer.
>
> Test the adapter with some other board. If the other board doesn't program,
> fix the adapter.  But the error looks like some error in your JTAG chain.
>
> Bye
> --
> Uwe Bonnes                b...(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
>
> Institut fuer Kernphysik  Schlossgartenstrasse 9  64289 Darmstadt
> --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------

I have tested the adapter it programs the other boards.

What I cant understand is what happens when I unplug the board or
adapter from my computer and plug again? how can it start to work/
program again what is it got to with the chain?

From: Uwe Bonnes on
Serkan <oktem(a)su.sabanciuniv.edu> wrote:

> I have tested the adapter it programs the other boards.

> What I cant understand is what happens when I unplug the board or
> adapter from my computer and plug again? how can it start to work/
> program again what is it got to with the chain?

I don't understand what you want to say with the last sentence.

But broken hardware, e.g. a JTAG Pin not soldered right can give a lott of
problems, especially work from time to time and don't work else...

From: Serkan on

> I don't understand what you want to say with the last sentence.

Even though I cant program the fpga most of the times, I found a weird
solution to program it sometimes. It is like this:
I just unplug Xilinx platform cable USB II from my computer and and
plug to another usb port, (after 10 tries it works)
I cant understand the reason behind this.