From: Jesso on

Hi everyone,

I've been having an INCREDIBLY frustrating problem with my Windows XP
Dell Laptop lately. It works absolutely fine at home, but every single
time I take it to university it refuses to start up - I instead get the
Blue Screen of Death, saying that Windows has been shut down to prevent
damage to my computer followed by -

*** STOP: 0x000000A (0x400008E1, 0x0000002, 0x00000000, 0x804D9B64)
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
assistance.

I have ignored it for a few months as it doesn't give me any problems at
home. But I need to take it places and I'm sick of it not working when I
carry it around. I carry it in a tight-fit zipped case (made out of
wetsuit material, like the ones often seen carrying around Macbooks). I
doubt this will disturb it in anyway but hmm...

I often find once I leave university premises it works again. Could it
be a problem with the wireless? I don't know how my laptop would pick
that up though as it doesn't even start. It will start in safemode but
not safemode with networking.

If anyone can help then please let me know!

Thanks,
Jess

--
Jesso
Jesso's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/223809.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Iceman on
On Sun, 23 May 2010 20:59:48 -0500, Jesso wrote in message

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been having an INCREDIBLY frustrating problem with my Windows XP
> Dell Laptop lately. It works absolutely fine at home, but every single
> time I take it to university it refuses to start up - I instead get the
> Blue Screen of Death, saying that Windows has been shut down to prevent
> damage to my computer followed by -
>
> *** STOP: 0x000000A (0x400008E1, 0x0000002, 0x00000000, 0x804D9B64)
> Beginning dump of physical memory.
> Physical memory dump complete.
> Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
> assistance.
>
> I have ignored it for a few months as it doesn't give me any problems at
> home. But I need to take it places and I'm sick of it not working when I
> carry it around. I carry it in a tight-fit zipped case (made out of
> wetsuit material, like the ones often seen carrying around Macbooks). I
> doubt this will disturb it in anyway but hmm...
>
> I often find once I leave university premises it works again. Could it
> be a problem with the wireless? I don't know how my laptop would pick
> that up though as it doesn't even start. It will start in safemode but
> not safemode with networking.
>
> If anyone can help then please let me know!
>
> Thanks,
> Jess

Such BSOD messages usually have to do with bad video drivers. But here are
two links for you to check regarding that particular message you name in
your message header:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms793589.aspx
and
http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x0a

The environment or the bag you carry the laptop in are unlikely to affect
the computer, but moving it about just might.
From: Jose on
On May 23, 9:59 pm, Jesso <Jesso.4bg...(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been having an INCREDIBLY frustrating problem with my Windows XP
> Dell Laptop lately. It works absolutely fine at home, but every single
> time I take it to university it refuses to start up - I instead get the
> Blue Screen of Death, saying that Windows has been shut down to prevent
> damage to my computer followed by -
>
> *** STOP: 0x000000A (0x400008E1, 0x0000002, 0x00000000, 0x804D9B64)
> Beginning dump of physical memory.
> Physical memory dump complete.
> Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
> assistance.
>
> I have ignored it for a few months as it doesn't give me any problems at
> home. But I need to take it places and I'm sick of it not working when I
> carry it around. I carry it in a tight-fit zipped case (made out of
> wetsuit material, like the ones often seen carrying around Macbooks). I
> doubt this will disturb it in anyway but hmm...
>
> I often find once I leave university premises it works again. Could it
> be a problem with the wireless? I don't know how my laptop would pick
> that up though as it doesn't even start. It will start in safemode but
> not safemode with networking.
>
> If anyone can help then please let me know!
>
> Thanks,
> Jess
>
> --
> Jesso
> Jesso's Profile:http://forums.techarena.in/members/223809.htm
> View this thread:http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1340021.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

If you have memory dumps they can be interpreted to find the exact
driver causing the problem (no guessing)

Merely reading that the issue might be caused by bad, faulty or
incompatible driver does not help you figure out the problem.

You need to know what the driver is and then what to do about it.

Getting yourself set up to interpret memory dumps and properly
interpreting them takes practice. It is not trial and error and there
is no guesswork.

Here is a tool that will read the dumps for you, put them into a
format that makes sense and allow you to post results for
interpretation:

Download BlueScreenView from here:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Unzip and run it and let it finish scanning all your dump files.
Select the most recent dump files by clicking them and holding down
the Ctrl key to select multiples files. Try to select just the most
recent ones that relate to your issue.

Double clicking a Dump File will give you some good information -
maybe you can spot the problem right away. If not, do this:

Click File, Save Selected Items and save the information from the
dumps to a text file on your desktop to some file you can find -
perhaps BSOD.txt. Open BSOD.txt with a text editor, copy all the text
and paste it into your next reply.
From: mkwilson27 on

I have the exact same problem. I have a Sony VAIO laptop. When I turn
off my wireless, the computer works fine. I'm assuming I have a bad
wireless driver?

--
mkwilson27
mkwilson27's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/227754.htm