From: yogi on
Hi All,
I had a question regarding blanks or SPACES in numeric
fields. Would SPACES pass the IS NUMERIC test used for checking if the
value is numeric or not. Since SPACES can be compared arithmetically
(> SPACES), I was wondering if it would pass the IS NUMERIC test.

Thanks in advance
From: Richard on
On Dec 1, 3:49 pm, yogi <yogi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>             I had a question regarding blanks or SPACES in numeric
> fields. Would SPACES pass the IS NUMERIC test used for checking if the
> value is numeric or not. Since SPACES can be compared arithmetically
> (> SPACES), I was wondering if it would pass the IS NUMERIC test.
>
> Thanks in advance

SPACE is not a numeric digit.
From: William M. Klein on
Easy answer, when running in "standard conformance" mode, IF NUMERIC will
fail when a field contains spaces. It will also have "unpredictable
results" if a field deinfed as numeric includes spaces when compared to
SPACERS or anything else - at run-time.

HOWEVER, results with specific ompiler may vary. In particular, the use of
the ZWB compiler option (IBM and MF) impacts how USAGE DISPLAY numeric
fields are treaded when some "bytes" contain spaces.

From: Howard Brazee on
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:21:24 -0600, "William M. Klein"
<wmklein(a)nospam.netcom.com> wrote:

>Easy answer, when running in "standard conformance" mode, IF NUMERIC will
>fail when a field contains spaces. It will also have "unpredictable
>results" if a field deinfed as numeric includes spaces when compared to
>SPACERS or anything else - at run-time.

I never cared for the definition of IF NUMERIC.

- James Madison
From: William M. Klein on
One addendum to my original response. I can't remember (and haven't looked
it up today) whether the '02 Standard allows an "If numeric" test on a
numeric-edited field, If so, then where the picutre string has "Z" or if
the data definition has "blank when zero", then IF numeric would "pass" when
spaces were in such a field. As I say, I don't remember is this is either
Standard conforming or allowed by any, many, or no compilers - buti it does
make sense for spaces to be "allowed' where the data definition says they
are allowed.

(I am out of town and can't easiy est or research this. If I get a "better"
answer later in the week, I will post that)

"Howard Brazee" <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:21:24 -0600, "William M. Klein"
> <wmklein(a)nospam.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>>Easy answer, when running in "standard conformance" mode, IF NUMERIC will
>>fail when a field contains spaces. It will also have "unpredictable
>>results" if a field deinfed as numeric includes spaces when compared to
>>SPACERS or anything else - at run-time.
>
> I never cared for the definition of IF NUMERIC.
>
> --
> "In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found,
> than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace
> to the legislature, and not to the executive department."
>
> - James Madison

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: My COBDATA problem