From: "Jeff Teel" jdteel on
I have had ISA 2004 installed on my SBS 2003 server every since it was put
into service and it has never allowed LAN workstations to access the
Internet without having proxy settings in the web browser. I had to do a
restore recently and after that was completed I noticed that if I unchecked
the use proxy check mark in my browser I could still access Internet pages
and of course my restricted web page settings were being ignored because of
not using the server proxy. The proxy is working because when I have the
proxy in the browser check to use it does block the web pages in my "denied"
list. Can anyone give me a place to look for something that may have changed
that would cause this symptom?

The restore was done from a full server backup that was only a few days old.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Jeff

From: Steve Foster on
Jeff Teel wrote:

> I have had ISA 2004 installed on my SBS 2003 server every since it
> was put into service and it has never allowed LAN workstations to
> access the Internet without having proxy settings in the web browser.
> I had to do a restore recently and after that was completed I noticed
> that if I unchecked the use proxy check mark in my browser I could
> still access Internet pages and of course my restricted web page
> settings were being ignored because of not using the server proxy.
> The proxy is working because when I have the proxy in the browser
> check to use it does block the web pages in my "denied" list. Can
> anyone give me a place to look for something that may have changed
> that would cause this symptom?
>
> The restore was done from a full server backup that was only a few
> days old.

Possibilities:

* there's another route to the internet (that doesn't involve going
through the SBS/ISA),
* there's a higher-priority rule that says "Allow any HTTP for all
Users"
* the Firewall Client is installed (it automatically handles proxying
for non-proxy-aware/configured applications), and there's a rule that
says "Allow any HTTP for <some set of Authenticated Users>".

How did/Could workstations reach the internet while you were restoring
the SBS?

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
From: "Jeff Teel" jdteel on
During the restore I replaced the server with a simple router that had the
same IP address on both sides as the server did while it was in service. I
did that so the clients could still have Internet access while I was working
on the server. I have cleared the DNS cache on one of the workstations
connected to the SBS network to see if that was causing this but am still
able to access WAN web content instead of getting ISA's generic page of not
able to view web page. ISA was restored as a part of the backup as well so
it should be exactly like it was before I had to do the restore. I do have
other rules in ISA but they were there before all of this too. Right now I
suspect the firewall client but I'm not sure just what to do to it to fix
it. Is there something I need to look for in that area or am I going in the
wrong direction?

Thank you for your input Steve. I appreciate it very much.

Jeff

From: Steve Foster on
Jeff Teel wrote:

> During the restore I replaced the server with a simple router that
> had the same IP address on both sides as the server did while it was
> in service. I did that so the clients could still have Internet
> access while I was working on the server. I have cleared the DNS
> cache on one of the workstations connected to the SBS network to see
> if that was causing this but am still able to access WAN web content
> instead of getting ISA's generic page of not able to view web page.
> ISA was restored as a part of the backup as well so it should be
> exactly like it was before I had to do the restore. I do have other
> rules in ISA but they were there before all of this too. Right now I
> suspect the firewall client but I'm not sure just what to do to it to
> fix it. Is there something I need to look for in that area or am I
> going in the wrong direction?
>
> Thank you for your input Steve. I appreciate it very much.

You need to review the ISA rules, and use ISA logging to figure out how
they're getting out. The live query view can be very helpful here
(providing you configure and limit it appropriately).

From: Al Williams on
On our SBS2003 it has always allowed both proxy and non-proxy IE access as
long as the ISA firewall client was installed on the PC. I think that is
how it is setup out of the box but I may be wrong. If you later installed
the firewall client on those PC's then that could be the difference.
Disabling it would prevent access, but FTP and other protocols would no
longer work from the clients.

--
Allan Williams