From: RobFJ on
I've got a spreadsheet of pay information for about eight hundred people.
Each person is on one of eight salary scales

I'd like to create a new worksheet that shows the details of just the 5
highest paid people in each scale (name, dept, salary, etc.) - and also the
five lowest. Ideally, I'd like also to be able to vary that number - eg the
top ten, the highest, etc..

Can someone help?

Thanks

From: Jacob Skaria on
Suppose you have data in Sheet1 in the below format

Col A Col B Col C
Name Scale Salary
a1 1 101
a2 1 102
a3 1 103
a4 2 104

In Sheet2 cell A1 enter the scale
In Sheet2 cell B1 enter the number of items to be displayed

In cell A2 apply the below array formula and copy down to 10 cells
=IF($B$1>=ROW(A1),LARGE(IF(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$100=$A$1,
Sheet1!$C$1:$C$100),ROW(A1)),"")

Please note that this is an array formula. You create array formulas in the
same way that you create other formulas, except you press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to
enter the formula. If successful in 'Formula Bar' you can notice the curly
braces at both ends like "{=<formula>}"

In cell B2 apply the below formula and copy/drag to 10 cells
=IF(A2<>"",INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,MATCH(A2,Sheet1!C:C,0)),"")

For other columns change the column in the second formula (INDEX() ) to suit.

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

From: RobFJ on
Thanks Jacob,

I've tried the suggested formulae and they work as long as everything is
unique values. If there are two values the same, then the index formula
seems to repeat the first value it comes across.

Is there a way around that?

Regards,

From: Herbert Seidenberg on
Excel 2007 PivotTable
Top, bottom 5
All ties will show.
No code, no formulas.
Animated.
http://c0718892.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/04_27_10.xlsx
Pdf preview:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w3jmmgm0jmj/04_27_10.pdf

From: Glenn on
RobFJ wrote:
> I've got a spreadsheet of pay information for about eight hundred
> people. Each person is on one of eight salary scales
>
> I'd like to create a new worksheet that shows the details of just the 5
> highest paid people in each scale (name, dept, salary, etc.) - and also
> the five lowest. Ideally, I'd like also to be able to vary that number -
> eg the top ten, the highest, etc..
>
> Can someone help?
>
> Thanks

Try a PivotTable. If you aren't familiar with them, look here: