From: Thomas Jollans on
On 06/30/2010 10:55 PM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> in all it's glory.
>
> :0: Hir
> * ^List-Id:.*python-list.python.org
> * ^From:.*@gmail.com
> * ^Newsgroups:
> /dev/null

looks like a nice header to filter on

From: Bruno Desthuilliers on
D'Arcy J.M. Cain a �crit :
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:06:05 -0700
> Stephen Hansen <me+list/python(a)ixokai.io> wrote:
>> Gmail and Google Groups are not one and the same. There's a number of
>> people who subscribe to the list directly, use Gmail, and don't go
>> anywhere near Google Groups.
>
> I know that. My filter doesn't catch them.
>
>>> If anyone is interested in the procmail recipe I will be using, here it
>>> is in all it's glory.
>>>
>>> :0: Hir
>>> * ^List-Id:.*python-list.python.org
>>> * ^From:.*@gmail.com
>>> * ^Newsgroups:
>>> /dev/null
>
> As you can see, to be caught in the filter you need to have a gmail
> address and be sending through the news gateway.

which doesn't mean they use Google groups...

> People sending from
> gmail.com directly to the mailing list don't get picked up. I'm pretty
> sure that that defines everyone using Google Groups only.

And AFAICT you're wrong. I read and post to c.l.py using my newsreader
(so NOT going thru GG), and my personal address is @gmail.com.
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain on
On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 14:07:27 +0200
Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.42.desthuilliers(a)websiteburo.invalid> wrote:
> And AFAICT you're wrong. I read and post to c.l.py using my newsreader
> (so NOT going thru GG), and my personal address is @gmail.com.

But...

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(a)druid.net> | Democracy is three wolves
From: Bruno Desthuilliers on
D'Arcy J.M. Cain a �crit :
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 14:07:27 +0200
> Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.42.desthuilliers(a)websiteburo.invalid> wrote:
>> And AFAICT you're wrong. I read and post to c.l.py using my newsreader
>> (so NOT going thru GG), and my personal address is @gmail.com.
>
> But...
>
>> From: Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.42.desthuilliers(a)websiteburo.invalid>

Sorry, there's a missing "sometimes" between "I" and "read" !-)
Posting from office now.

mmmm... Thinking again : I'm not sure the account I use to access usenet
from home is a @gmail.com one neither. I'll check this out.
From: Mithrandir on
Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.42.desthuilliers(a)websiteburo.invalid> wrote
in news:4c2c9002$0$17075$426a34cc(a)news.free.fr:

> D'Arcy J.M. Cain a �crit :
>> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 14:07:27 +0200
>> Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.42.desthuilliers(a)websiteburo.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>> And AFAICT you're wrong. I read and post to c.l.py using my
>>> newsreader (so NOT going thru GG), and my personal address is
>>> @gmail.com.
>>
>> But...
>>
>>> From: Bruno Desthuilliers
>>> <bruno.42.desthuilliers(a)websiteburo.invalid>
>>

> Sorry, there's a missing "sometimes" between "I" and "read" !-)
> Posting from office now.
>
> mmmm... Thinking again : I'm not sure the account I use to access
> usenet from home is a @gmail.com one neither. I'll check this out.

Just thought of this last night: If you view the full header you can see
this:

Try blocking posts with that in the header. :)

Good luck!

--
People should read more.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/User:MithrandirAgain