From: Joe Schulman on
The company I work for is putting a pdf online that has an image in
a .pdf that a co-worker does not want people to be able to right click
and copy. Is there a way outside of disabling right click that I can
keep the image from being copied?

And yes, I know all about print screen, looking in cache, etc. It's
really just to placate the co-worker. If I can make it where the image
can't be right-clicked then she'll be happy. She's not computer-
savvy.

I'm thinking there is a way to embed in the .pdf, but if not, what's
the easiest way to disable right-click function? Thanks for any help.
From: LLCoolG on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 06:48:24 -0700 (PDT), Joe Schulman
<schulmanwriter(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>The company I work for is putting a pdf online that has an image in
>a .pdf that a co-worker does not want people to be able to right click
>and copy. Is there a way outside of disabling right click that I can
>keep the image from being copied?
>
>And yes, I know all about print screen, looking in cache, etc. It's
>really just to placate the co-worker. If I can make it where the image
>can't be right-clicked then she'll be happy. She's not computer-
>savvy.
>
>I'm thinking there is a way to embed in the .pdf, but if not, what's
>the easiest way to disable right-click function? Thanks for any help.
I tried to right click an image on one of my pdf's and got nothing. I didn't
open any advanced editing tools in Acrobat so maybe you can. How about putting a
Password on the PDF and disable copying? Dunno much about pdf's but that might
show her it's "locked".
From: Duncan Kennedy on
LLCoolG <LLCGtt(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 2010 06:48:24 -0700 (PDT), Joe Schulman
> <schulmanwriter(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >The company I work for is putting a pdf online that has an image in
> >a .pdf that a co-worker does not want people to be able to right click
> >and copy. Is there a way outside of disabling right click that I can
> >keep the image from being copied?
> >
> >And yes, I know all about print screen, looking in cache, etc. It's
> >really just to placate the co-worker. If I can make it where the image
> >can't be right-clicked then she'll be happy. She's not computer-
> >savvy.
> >
> >I'm thinking there is a way to embed in the .pdf, but if not, what's
> >the easiest way to disable right-click function? Thanks for any help.
> I tried to right click an image on one of my pdf's and got nothing. I didn't
> open any advanced editing tools in Acrobat so maybe you can. How
>about putting a Password on the PDF and disable copying? Dunno much
> about pdf's but that might show her it's "locked".

That might be the safest way if you can distribute the password - but I
have heard of people putting a transparent GIF over the sensitive area
- but that might not be possible in your page layout.

--
duncank
From: Your Name on

"Duncan Kennedy" <nospam(a)nospamottersonbg.couk> wrote in message
> LLCoolG <LLCGtt(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 13 May 2010 06:48:24 -0700 (PDT), Joe Schulman
> > <schulmanwriter(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >The company I work for is putting a pdf online that has an image in
> > >a .pdf that a co-worker does not want people to be able to right click
> > >and copy. Is there a way outside of disabling right click that I can
> > >keep the image from being copied?
> > >
> > >And yes, I know all about print screen, looking in cache, etc. It's
> > >really just to placate the co-worker. If I can make it where the image
> > >can't be right-clicked then she'll be happy. She's not computer-
> > >savvy.
> > >
> > >I'm thinking there is a way to embed in the .pdf, but if not, what's
> > >the easiest way to disable right-click function? Thanks for any help.
> >
> > I tried to right click an image on one of my pdf's and got nothing. I
didn't
> > open any advanced editing tools in Acrobat so maybe you can. How
> >about putting a Password on the PDF and disable copying? Dunno much
> > about pdf's but that might show her it's "locked".
>
> That might be the safest way if you can distribute the password - but I
> have heard of people putting a transparent GIF over the sensitive area
> - but that might not be possible in your page layout.

This isn't a Dreamweaver question, but is a PDF question.

You don't need to (nor want to) distribute the password. PDFs have two
separate password systems:

- one for opening the document

- one for the enabling / disabling various settings, e.g. modifying the
document,
copying / extracting text or images, and printing.

Use the second option which should stop a low-knowledge user simply copying
the picture from the PDF, but anyone can still easily open the document. The
problem is that it will depend on how the PDF is being generated and whether
or not you have the software that allows you to set those passwords - full
Adobe Acrobat has the function, but (for example) Mac OS X's native print to
PDF doesn't.

Of course, as the original person already said, it's not total protection
since there are other ways to steal the picture.

Helpfull Harry :o)

Pages: 1
Prev: Changing URL
Next: Request for Help Please