From: Francois Tigeot on
Carlie Coats wrote:
> Noob wrote:
>> [ NB: X-posted tocomp.arch andcomp.unix.programmer ]
>>
>> Within 1-2 years, "mainstream" desktop PCs will probably come
>> equipped with a "small" (32-128 GB) solid-state drive (SSD) for
>> the operating system and applications, and (possibly) an additional,
>> larger (500+ GB) hard-disk drive (HDD) for a user's media (mostly
>> compressed audio and video).
> [snip...]
>> Given the typical Unix directory structure:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_directory_structure
>> which directories should go the SSD and which to the HDD?
>>
>> bin and sbin => SSD
>> usr => SSD probably
>> home => HDD
>> etc ?? => not modified often ?? SSD perhaps
>> var ??
>
> SSD's excel (relative to HDDs) at random I/O -- especially
> small random reads -- but current models still beat out HDDs
> for random writes, as well. It's worth noting that Linus
> Torvalds has remarked that the SSD on his new machine gives
> him a larger performance boost than the Nehalem processor
> does -- software builds involve _lots_ of random scratch I/O.

A new swapcache(8) mechanism has just been integrated in the development
version of DragonFly BSD. The idea is to configure a fast SSD as swap,
which then caches regular disk data.

You can choose which directory hierarchies are selected for data caching
with special file flags.

Some links:

http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog/2010/02/21/5489.html
http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog/2010/02/23/5503.html

http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man/?command=swapcache&section=ANY

--
Francois Tigeot
From: James Harris on
On 4 Mar, 23:43, sc...(a)slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:
> Morten Reistad <fi...(a)last.name> writes:
> >In article <hmoo7o$46...(a)speranza.aioe.org>, Noob  <r...(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:
> >>In short, will widely-available SSDs require OS designers to make
> >>large changes, or is the current infrastructure generic enough?
>
> >This is old news. I have been deploying such systems for 7 years now.
>
> SSD's have been available for over 25 years in the mainframe world, some
> using battery backed DRAM, some using much more expensive SRAM.

Are you sure that's the distinction you intended? SRAM (static RAM)
would need battery backing - and a significant amount of it. DRAM
would need battery backing and refresh logic.

James
From: Noob on
Scott Lurndal wrote:

> Noob wrote:
>
>> [ NB: X-posted to comp.arch and comp.unix.programmer ]
>>
>> Within 1-2 years, "mainstream" desktop PCs will probably come
>> equipped with a "small" (32-128 GB) solid-state drive (SSD) for
>> the operating system and applications, and (possibly) an additional,
>> larger (500+ GB) hard-disk drive (HDD) for a user's media (mostly
>> compressed audio and video).
>>
>> In the SSD+HDD scenario, I was wondering whether it would be
>> "better" (for some metric) to have the OS swap to the SSD or
>> to the HDD?
>
> It's "Better" (for all metrics) to not swap.

What happens when there's "just not enough RAM"(TM)(R)?
Do you over-commit?

> No. It never makes sense to page executable code.

I think you mean "it never makes sense to page unmodified pages".
(since they can be reloaded from the original media, right?)
What if the original media is a DVD?
What if the code has modified itself? or it's JIT compiled?

> My current test system has 112 processors, 1TB memory and 64 Intel
> SSD drives (attached to 16 LSI hardware raid controllers). It never
> swaps :-).

OK, so you're saying next year's typical mainstream desktop
personal computer will come with 112 cores and 1 TB RAM.

Where do I sign up? I have my 500 USD right here.

Regards.
From: Noob on
Carlie Coats wrote:

> Noob wrote:
>
>> [ NB: X-posted to comp.arch and comp.unix.programmer ]
>>
>> Within 1-2 years, "mainstream" desktop PCs will probably come
>> equipped with a "small" (32-128 GB) solid-state drive (SSD) for
>> the operating system and applications, and (possibly) an additional,
>> larger (500+ GB) hard-disk drive (HDD) for a user's media (mostly
>> compressed audio and video).
>> [...]
>> Given the typical Unix directory structure:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_directory_structure
>> which directories should go the SSD and which to the HDD?
>>
>> bin and sbin => SSD
>> usr => SSD probably
>> home => HDD
>> etc ?? => not modified often ?? SSD perhaps
>> var ??
>
> I vote for "small" 100-250 GB SSD

In my neck of the woods, MLC solid-state drives currently
cost 2-4 EUR per GB. Assuming prices are cut in half in
the next 12 months (optimistic IMO), we're still talking
250-500 EUR for a 250GB SSD. IMHO, that's too steep for
mainstream desktop PCs.

> directly on the motherboard

Do you mean soldered to the motherboard? If so, what for?

> (or, worst-case PCI bus)

Are you considering a SSD on a PCI expansion card, instead
of one with a SATA interface?

Ccommon PCI buses (32-bit @ 33 MHz) are limited to 133 MB/s.

Regards.
From: Chris Friesen on
On 03/04/2010 12:35 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

> It's "Better" (for all metrics) to not swap.

> It never makes sense to page executable code.

Of course it's better not to swap. However, given a specific machine
and a specific workload, there may be no possible way to fit both the
code and the data set into RAM at the same time.

If swapping out a page of code that gets executed extremely rarely
allows the data set to fit in RAM and the app runs 10x faster, I'm all
for paging executable code.

Chris