From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on

Chris Friesen <cbf123(a)mail.usask.ca> writes:
> Of course it's better not to swap. However, given a specific machine
> and a specific workload, there may be no possible way to fit both the
> code and the data set into RAM at the same time.
>
> If swapping out a page of code that gets executed extremely rarely
> allows the data set to fit in RAM and the app runs 10x faster, I'm all
> for paging executable code.

recent reference to somebody's decision to bias page replacement
algorithm to non-changed pages ... (i.e. less effort, since replaced
paged didn't have to be written out first, valid copy was still on
paging device) ... was that way for nearly a decade (most of the 70s)
before they realized that they were replacing high-use, shared
executable code before much lower-use, private data pages
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#78 LPARs: More or Less?

there was some facetious reference about getting paid for doing it the
wrong way ... so later can get award for fixing the problem.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#78 LPARs: More or Less?

more recent thread about performance issues related to
paging microcode
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#34 Need tool to zap core
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#44 Need tool to zap core

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970
From: Ken Hagan on
On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 10:12:31 -0000, Noob <root(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:

> What happens when there's "just not enough RAM"(TM)(R)?

What happens when there is "just not enough page file" ?

I think the point being made here is that one shouldn't attempt to
optimise the system design for efficient paging. We can all imagine loads
that exceed available memory and in the real world you will meet them
occasionally, but for the past decade or two it has been quite reasonable
to put "enough RAM" in the machine for 99% of tasks and disk speeds
(especially for random access) have been so far below even DRAM speeds
that a page fault is "game over" as far as optimisation is concerned.
From: Scott Lurndal on
Chris Friesen <cbf123(a)mail.usask.ca> writes:
>On 03/04/2010 12:35 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>
>> It's "Better" (for all metrics) to not swap.
>
>> It never makes sense to page executable code.
>
>Of course it's better not to swap. However, given a specific machine
>and a specific workload, there may be no possible way to fit both the
>code and the data set into RAM at the same time.
>
>If swapping out a page of code that gets executed extremely rarely
>allows the data set to fit in RAM and the app runs 10x faster, I'm all
>for paging executable code.

I should have elaborated. I meant

"It never makes sense to page executable code to the page/swapfile".

(Although, as pointed out above, it make make some sense if the executable
itself resides on some slow storage, such as optical media or floppy).

scott
From: nmm1 on
In article <8mbkn.151094$ZQ3.119406(a)news.usenetserver.com>,
Scott Lurndal <slp53(a)pacbell.net> wrote:
>Chris Friesen <cbf123(a)mail.usask.ca> writes:
>>On 03/04/2010 12:35 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>>
>>> It's "Better" (for all metrics) to not swap.
>>
>>> It never makes sense to page executable code.
>>
>>Of course it's better not to swap. However, given a specific machine
>>and a specific workload, there may be no possible way to fit both the
>>code and the data set into RAM at the same time.
>>
>>If swapping out a page of code that gets executed extremely rarely
>>allows the data set to fit in RAM and the app runs 10x faster, I'm all
>>for paging executable code.
>
>I should have elaborated. I meant
>
> "It never makes sense to page executable code to the page/swapfile".
>
> (Although, as pointed out above, it make make some sense if the executable
> itself resides on some slow storage, such as optical media or floppy).

And, also as previously pointed out, it makes sense if relocation
is expensive compared to paging.

Or the system allows in-use executables to be updated.

And probably under other circumstances.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Robert Myers on
On Mar 5, 11:47 am, "Ken Hagan" <K.Ha...(a)thermoteknix.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 10:12:31 -0000, Noob <r...(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:
> > What happens when there's "just not enough RAM"(TM)(R)?
>
> What happens when there is "just not enough page file" ?
>
> I think the point being made here is that one shouldn't attempt to
> optimise the system design for efficient paging. We can all imagine loads
> that exceed available memory and in the real world you will meet them
> occasionally, but for the past decade or two it has been quite reasonable
> to put "enough RAM" in the machine for 99% of tasks and disk speeds
> (especially for random access) have been so far below even DRAM speeds
> that a page fault is "game over" as far as optimisation is concerned.

But maybe not forever. One way of eliminating the teeth-grinding
chaos of current machines trying to do many different things at once
is to make greater use of virtualization, so as to provide better
isolation between different and probably competing activities.

The inevitable pressure from increasing use of virtualization will be
for more and more memory, which may bring back swap space as an
important player.

Robert.