From: Anurag Jain on
Hello,

I am a new user of MS Access and is completely new to this forum as well.

I am looking for some help on my first application in access that I am
designing.

I am creating an MS Access 2003 application with VBA in front end and MS
access database at the backend. I have a database in my table called
employees and I would like to save a pdf or a doc file in the resume field of
each employee record.

I tried to upload the file using DAO but it only saves the file name as BLOB
in the resume field inside the table and not its content.

Can someone please advise me what could I be doing wrong or if there is a
better way to approach this problem.

Thank you in advance,

Anurag
From: Arvin Meyer [MVP] on
Save the files in a folder on the hard drive and store the path to the
employee file in a field in his record. Open the PDF in response to a souble
click event or a button click event. See the following:

http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

From: Anurag Jain on
Thank you, Arvin for your response. The way you are suggesting is a good one
but i would also like to look into the possibility of importing the files in
the table field. That way i think the application would be more user friendly
and easier to circulate.
Please suggest and Thank you in advance.

From: Duane Hookom on
You might want to wait for Access 2007 since it will support "attachment"
fields with compressed storage. Check out Allen Browne's page on the new
features at http://www.allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html.

--
Duane Hookom
MS Access MVP

From: Arvin Meyer [MVP] on
As Duane mentioned, Access 2007 supports this. Trying to import fields into
an OLE field requires huge amounts of database space and doesn't support
storing very many files.

If you distribute your files in a single Folder with the PDFs being in a
subfolder, you accomplish the task of both user firendly, and ease of
circulation. Instead of storing the full path, you would then use:

CurrentProject.Path & "\FolderNameFor PDFs\" & FileName.PDF

Now you can store it anywhere.