From: Rivergull on

A newbie to this, I have to say this particular thread has been very
educational. As a long-time film shooter with a manual SLR, I'm finding
it a constant challenge to live in the digital photography world.
Intending to buy a Leica D-Lux 4 (serious baby), I decided to first get
acquainted with digital via a 'mom n' pop' Canon A590IS. First of all,
I have an aging PC (Windows XP) with limited memory and no card
reader...only USB. Well today my USB ports stopped working (time to get
a MacBook PRO!!).

With 30 new images in my camera and no way to upload them, a friend
volunteered her Dell laptop (Vista) with a card reader. I uploaded the
proprietary Canon software, inserted my SanDisk 2GB memory card,
uploaded the pics, and emailed them to myself (it didn't work, but
that's another story). I removed the memory card from her laptop,
inserted it back into my camera...and proceeded to check the images via
the LCD. Some (maybe all) are there, but between images I get the
message 'incompatible jpg' with a question mark. I can't tell if this
indicates a lost image or not, because I can't remember every single
image that I shot. QUESTION: Did I really lose images? and without a
working USB at home, what would you suggest I do to get the remaining
images off the card? Should I go to a place like Staples and ask them
to upload the pics onto one of their PC's and save them to a large thumb
drive? or to a CD? I know they won't email them...that's not a service
they provide. And should I use 'write protect' now, with those
'incompatible jpgs' in there? Aarrgghh! I loved film photography ;o/

From: Ray Fischer on
Rivergull <Rivergull.3ytf4j(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:

>A newbie to this, I have to say this particular thread has been very
>educational. As a long-time film shooter with a manual SLR, I'm finding
>it a constant challenge to live in the digital photography world.
>Intending to buy a Leica D-Lux 4 (serious baby), I decided to first get
>acquainted with digital via a 'mom n' pop' Canon A590IS. First of all,
>I have an aging PC (Windows XP) with limited memory and no card
>reader...only USB. Well today my USB ports stopped working (time to get
>a MacBook PRO!!).

USB card readers are about $30. But if you need an excuse to upgrade,
just pretend I didn't write that.

>With 30 new images in my camera and no way to upload them, a friend
>volunteered her Dell laptop (Vista) with a card reader. I uploaded the
>proprietary Canon software, inserted my SanDisk 2GB memory card,
>uploaded the pics, and emailed them to myself (it didn't work, but
>that's another story).

You don't need Canon's software to read images off of the memory card.
You can just treat it as an external disk and copy the files.

> I removed the memory card from her laptop,
>inserted it back into my camera...and proceeded to check the images via
>the LCD. Some (maybe all) are there, but between images I get the
>message 'incompatible jpg' with a question mark. I can't tell if this
>indicates a lost image or not, because I can't remember every single
>image that I shot.

I'm guessing that the "incompatible" ones are thumbnail images.

> QUESTION: Did I really lose images?

Unknowable. It depend upon what you did. But probably not.

> and without a
>working USB at home, what would you suggest I do to get the remaining
>images off the card?

USB cards for PC are pretty cheap. Under $20. If it's not a software
issue then you could try putting in a new card.

> Should I go to a place like Staples and ask them
>to upload the pics onto one of their PC's and save them to a large thumb
>drive? or to a CD?

That'd work too.

> I know they won't email them...that's not a service
>they provide. And should I use 'write protect' now, with those
>'incompatible jpgs' in there? Aarrgghh! I loved film photography ;o/

But at $1 per picture, good or bad, it cost a bit more.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Ray Fischer on
Marty Freeman <Marty(a)freeman.invalid> wrote:
>rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>
>> USB card readers are about $30. But if you need an excuse to upgrade,
>> just pretend I didn't write that.
>
>Even less than that! I got one in a local shop (Poundland) for �1 (~$1.50?)
>it works fine even with SDHC and USB-2 (about 10MB/sec anyhow). It's a tiny
>device that plugs directly into the USB socket.

Well, yes, but I was thinking about a multi-format reader supporting
USB 2.0 high speed and of decent quality.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: John McWilliams on
Rivergull wrote:
> A newbie to this, I have to say this particular thread has been very
> educational. As a long-time film shooter with a manual SLR, I'm finding
> it a constant challenge to live in the digital photography world.
> Intending to buy a Leica D-Lux 4 (serious baby), I decided to first get
> acquainted with digital via a 'mom n' pop' Canon A590IS. First of all,
> I have an aging PC (Windows XP) with limited memory and no card
> reader...only USB. Well today my USB ports stopped working (time to get
> a MacBook PRO!!).
>
> With 30 new images in my camera and no way to upload them, a friend
> volunteered her Dell laptop (Vista) with a card reader. I uploaded the
> proprietary Canon software, inserted my SanDisk 2GB memory card,
> uploaded the pics, and emailed them to myself (it didn't work, but
> that's another story). I removed the memory card from her laptop,
> inserted it back into my camera...and proceeded to check the images via
> the LCD. Some (maybe all) are there, but between images I get the
> message 'incompatible jpg' with a question mark. I can't tell if this
> indicates a lost image or not, because I can't remember every single
> image that I shot. QUESTION: Did I really lose images? and without a
> working USB at home, what would you suggest I do to get the remaining
> images off the card? Should I go to a place like Staples and ask them
> to upload the pics onto one of their PC's and save them to a large thumb
> drive? or to a CD? I know they won't email them...that's not a service
> they provide. And should I use 'write protect' now, with those
> 'incompatible jpgs' in there? Aarrgghh! I loved film photography ;o/

Get some new cards. Don't touch the one you have now until you get your
new Mac. You should be able to off load every thing that's there, and
make sense of what you have.

--
John McWilliams
From: Martin Brown on
Ray Fischer wrote:
> Marty Freeman <Marty(a)freeman.invalid> wrote:
>> rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>>
>>> USB card readers are about $30. But if you need an excuse to upgrade,
>>> just pretend I didn't write that.

>> Even less than that! I got one in a local shop (Poundland) for �1 (~$1.50?)
>> it works fine even with SDHC and USB-2 (about 10MB/sec anyhow). It's a tiny
>> device that plugs directly into the USB socket.
>
> Well, yes, but I was thinking about a multi-format reader supporting
> USB 2.0 high speed and of decent quality.

Gold plated and with diamond studs in the top?

Even in the UK where we are seriously ripped off for hitech goods it is
hard to pay more than about �10 for a decent multistandard USB2 card
reader. The cheapest full spec USB2 units are about half that. I would
not expect to pay more than the same number of dollars in the US.

Anyway the OP seems to need a new USB2 peripheral card since it is his
USB ports that have stopped working (also about a tenner).

Hard to say whether images were damaged by the other computer. Other
possibilities are that rotating them would make the aspect ratio confict
with the cameras display - and some software adds spurious files to
media that it is asked to browse (PSPros *.JBF Dozes *.DB for instance)

I have never seen one that adds a bogus file for every original image.

Regards,
Martin Brown