From: Gary Edstrom on
I am looking for a good chest strap or harness solution for carrying my
DSLR while backpacking. I have seen several on the web, but was
wondering if anyone here has had any experience with any of them and how
well they work. Carrying my DSLR using the neck strap gets old fast.
Not only do I have to prevent the camera from swinging around, but the
weight around my neck bothers me after a while. I want the camera to be
accessible in a hurry when I want to take a picture, so I don't want to
have to put it away in a belt pouch.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Gary
From: Ofnuts on
Gary Edstrom wrote:
> I am looking for a good chest strap or harness solution for carrying my
> DSLR while backpacking. I have seen several on the web, but was
> wondering if anyone here has had any experience with any of them and how
> well they work. Carrying my DSLR using the neck strap gets old fast.
> Not only do I have to prevent the camera from swinging around, but the
> weight around my neck bothers me after a while. I want the camera to be
> accessible in a hurry when I want to take a picture, so I don't want to
> have to put it away in a belt pouch.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks, Gary

If you replace the standard strap by a neoprene strap your neck will
stop bothering you (unless you carry a 300 f/2.8 of course) or will
bother you much later.

--
Bertrand
From: Savageduck on
On 2009-09-23 09:36:42 -0700, Ofnuts <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> said:

> Gary Edstrom wrote:
>> I am looking for a good chest strap or harness solution for carrying my
>> DSLR while backpacking. I have seen several on the web, but was
>> wondering if anyone here has had any experience with any of them and how
>> well they work. Carrying my DSLR using the neck strap gets old fast.
>> Not only do I have to prevent the camera from swinging around, but the
>> weight around my neck bothers me after a while. I want the camera to be
>> accessible in a hurry when I want to take a picture, so I don't want to
>> have to put it away in a belt pouch.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks, Gary
>
> If you replace the standard strap by a neoprene strap your neck will
> stop bothering you (unless you carry a 300 f/2.8 of course) or will
> bother you much later.

Try the Blackrapid system http://www.blackrapid.com/

or

Cotton Carrier Systems http://www.cottoncarrier.com/

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Gary Edstrom on
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:36:37 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2009-09-23 09:36:42 -0700, Ofnuts <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> said:
>
>> Gary Edstrom wrote:
>>> I am looking for a good chest strap or harness solution for carrying my
>>> DSLR while backpacking. I have seen several on the web, but was
>>> wondering if anyone here has had any experience with any of them and how
>>> well they work. Carrying my DSLR using the neck strap gets old fast.
>>> Not only do I have to prevent the camera from swinging around, but the
>>> weight around my neck bothers me after a while. I want the camera to be
>>> accessible in a hurry when I want to take a picture, so I don't want to
>>> have to put it away in a belt pouch.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Gary
>>
>> If you replace the standard strap by a neoprene strap your neck will
>> stop bothering you (unless you carry a 300 f/2.8 of course) or will
>> bother you much later.
>
>Try the Blackrapid system http://www.blackrapid.com/
>
>or
>
>Cotton Carrier Systems http://www.cottoncarrier.com/

Thanks for the pointer! I hadn't seen the Cotton Carrier Systems
before. Kind of pricey, but it looks like exactly what I am after.

Gary
From: ray on
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 08:36:56 -0700, Gary Edstrom wrote:

> I am looking for a good chest strap or harness solution for carrying my
> DSLR while backpacking. I have seen several on the web, but was
> wondering if anyone here has had any experience with any of them and how
> well they work. Carrying my DSLR using the neck strap gets old fast.
> Not only do I have to prevent the camera from swinging around, but the
> weight around my neck bothers me after a while. I want the camera to be
> accessible in a hurry when I want to take a picture, so I don't want to
> have to put it away in a belt pouch.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks, Gary

I have somewhat resolved the problem by sticking one arm through after I
put the camera strap round my neck. That moves the weight more over one
shoulder and prevents it from swinging around.