From: Lloyd W. on
"Gary Edstrom" <GEdstrom(a)PacBell.Net> wrote in message
>I am looking for a good chest strap or harness solution for carrying my
> DSLR while backpacking. I have seen several on the web, but was
> wondering if anyone here has had any experience with any of them and how
> well they work. Carrying my DSLR using the neck strap gets old fast.
> Not only do I have to prevent the camera from swinging around, but the
> weight around my neck bothers me after a while. I want the camera to be
> accessible in a hurry when I want to take a picture, so I don't want to
> have to put it away in a belt pouch.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks, Gary

I use the R-Strap from BlackRapid with good results. Most of my shooting is
at rowing regattas, which entailed a fair amount of all-day climbing up in
unusual places with my equipment backpack and camera w/ a long lens. The
camera hung securely at my side and was easy to bring up for a shot.

The Cotton Carrier looks interesting and might be better suited for use with
a hiking backpack.

From: Robert Haar on

From: Gary Edstrom on
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:48:21 -0700, Gary Edstrom <GEdstrom(a)PacBell.Net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:36:37 -0700, Savageduck
><savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> If you replace the standard strap by a neoprene strap your neck will
>>> stop bothering you (unless you carry a 300 f/2.8 of course) or will
>>> bother you much later.
>>
>>Try the Blackrapid system http://www.blackrapid.com/
>>
>>or
>>
>>Cotton Carrier Systems http://www.cottoncarrier.com/
>
>Thanks for the pointer! I hadn't seen the Cotton Carrier Systems
>before. Kind of pricey, but it looks like exactly what I am after.
>
>Gary

Well, after thinking about it overnight, I went ahead and purchased the
Cotton Carrier harness. Thanks again for the pointer.

Gary
From: Savageduck on
On 2009-09-24 08:16:24 -0700, Gary Edstrom <GEdstrom(a)PacBell.Net> said:

> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:48:21 -0700, Gary Edstrom <GEdstrom(a)PacBell.Net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:36:37 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> Try the Blackrapid system http://www.blackrapid.com/
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> Cotton Carrier Systems http://www.cottoncarrier.com/
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer! I hadn't seen the Cotton Carrier Systems
>> before. Kind of pricey, but it looks like exactly what I am after.
>>
>> Gary
>
> Well, after thinking about it overnight, I went ahead and purchased the
> Cotton Carrier harness. Thanks again for the pointer.
>
> Gary

Let us know how it works out for you.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Gary Edstrom on
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 08:44:13 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2009-09-24 08:16:24 -0700, Gary Edstrom <GEdstrom(a)PacBell.Net> said:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:48:21 -0700, Gary Edstrom <GEdstrom(a)PacBell.Net>
>> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the pointer! I hadn't seen the Cotton Carrier Systems
>>> before. Kind of pricey, but it looks like exactly what I am after.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>
>> Well, after thinking about it overnight, I went ahead and purchased the
>> Cotton Carrier harness. Thanks again for the pointer.
>>
>> Gary
>
>Let us know how it works out for you.

I received the Cotton Carrier harness today. It seems to fit and work
well, but it will be Saturday before I can give it a good workout while
going on a day-hike with my backpack. I'll let you know how it goes.

Gary