From: Subhas on
Is there a way I can increase the number of shadow copies created? The
default is set to 64 copies, is there a way I can increase it? I have shadow
copies being taken every hour during business hours( 9-5 ) and have plent
more disk space to allow more snapshots.

thanks
From: Owen Williams [SBS MVP] on
In article <3C675CEB-A54E-4AF1-A9AA-1A31017CDCA4(a)microsoft.com>,
Subhas(a)discussions.microsoft.com says...

> Is there a way I can increase the number of shadow copies created? The
> default is set to 64 copies, is there a way I can increase it? I have shadow
> copies being taken every hour during business hours( 9-5 ) and have plent
> more disk space to allow more snapshots.

According to several sources on Microsoft.com, although VSS can store up
to 512 copies, the maximum number for shares (which is what I suspect
you are interested in, given the nature of your question) is 64.

For example:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/261cfe7d-4509-
4310-b2f7-2222f0d15f071033.mspx?mfr=true

Since you are only taking snapshots during business hours, you can still
don't know your specific situation). Presumably, you are also doing
regular backups, which - depending on the rotation scheme - may give you
more history if you really need it.

-- Owen Williams (SBS MVP)
From: Subhas on
It is not 64 shares, it is 64 copies. When I right click on the drive and
goto the "shadow copy" tab it only list 64 points. I only have about 5 shares
on that drive. I would like to increase the 64points.

From: Owen Williams [SBS MVP] on
In article <C1532640-CAE5-4479-BA37-7A0BEE2EB56C(a)microsoft.com>,
Subhas(a)discussions.microsoft.com says...

> It is not 64 shares, it is 64 copies. When I right click on the drive and
> goto the "shadow copy" tab it only list 64 points. I only have about 5 shares
> on that drive. I would like to increase the 64points.

You apparently misunderstood my response: For shares, the limit is 64
shadow copies or previous versions - "points" using your terminology.

As far as I know, there is no limit to the number of shares. Shadow
copies are enabled or disabled per volume, not per share.

-- Owen Williams (SBS MVP)
From: Subhas on
Sorry I misread your response, what you have said is true and I understand
that.
So there is no way to change the limit per volume?
And how do you get previous versions for files that are not being shared?