From: Simon Daniel on
SBS 2003 R2 Standard Edition. SBS Backup was working fine until I performed
the following maintenance on the server (all on the same day):

- Uninstalled Windows SharePoint Services v3
- Uninstalled SQL Server 2005 Embedded Edition (this was installed by
SharePoint Services v3)
- Installed Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2

I uninstalled SharePoint v3 and the associated SQL Server 2005 Embedded
Edition because it had been installed for evaluation purposes and the client
didn't end up using it. It was using up a lot of disk space on the boot
partition which I needed to free up.

Since making the above changes SBS Backup fails with the following error:

Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1.
"MSDEWriter" has reported an error 0x800423f4. This is part of System State.
The backup cannot continue.
Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:800423f4
Aborting Backup.

The backup fails right at the beginning before anything is backed up. I have
appended the full backup log to the end of this message.

Using ntbackup I can perform a manual backup of the system state and file
system without any problems. If I try manually using the "Small Business
Backup Script.bks" with ntbackup the backup fails with the same error as
above.

I have tried the following steps, which haven't solved the problem:

- Re-run the SBS Backup wizard
- Deleted the following registry key, which was added by SQL Server 2005
Embedded Edition but isn't automatically deleted when you uninstall SQL
Server 2005 Embedded Edition:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\VssAccessControl I
restarted the server after deleting this registry key.

I have spent a lot of time researching this problem without a successful
resolution.

13/08/2007 11:00 p.m.
-------------------------------
Date: 13/08/2007
Time: 11:00 p.m.
User: SYSTEM
-------------------------------

Backup Runner started.
Launching NTBackup: ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows
Small Business Server\Backup\Small Business Backup Script.bks" /d "SBS Backup
created on 13/08/2007 at 11:00 p.m." /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:off /m normal /j
"Small Business Server Backup Job" /l:s /f "Z:\Backup Files\Small Business
Server Backup (02).bkf" /UM
NTBACKUP LOG FILE: C:\Documents and Settings\SBS Backup User\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\backup01.log
=====================<BEGIN NTBACKUP LOG FILE>=====================
Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "Small Business Server Backup (02).bkf created 13/08/2007 at
11:00 p.m."

Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1.
"MSDEWriter" has reported an error 0x800423f4. This is part of System State.
The backup cannot continue.

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:800423f4
Aborting Backup.

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.

----------------------

=======================<END NTBACKUP LOG FILE>=====================
NTBackup finished the backup with errors.

For more information about failed backups, see the article on
troubleshooting your backup at the following Web page:

Backup ended at Monday, 13 August 2007 11:01 p.m.
Backup Runner finished.
From: Claus on
Have you seen this... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912414

Also, check which SQL instant VSS is using. Make sure it still exists.

--
Claus

From: Simon Daniel on
Yes, I've seen that KB article and it doesn't apply in this case.

How do I check which SQL instance VSS is using?

The following two events appear in the application log when the backup tries
to run:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 20
Date: 13/08/2007
Time: 11:00:22 p.m.
User: N/A
Computer: FRAEMOHS-SBS
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the
Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered. This might happened if an
error occurred during Windows setup or during installation of a Shadow Copy
provider. The error returned from CoCreateInstance on class with CLSID
{40700425-0080-11d2-851f-00c04fc21759} and Name MSSQL_ClientVirtualDeviceSet
is [0x80040154].

Event Type: Error
Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6008
Date: 13/08/2007
Time: 11:00:22 p.m.
User: N/A
Computer: FRAEMOHS-SBS
Sqllib error: Failed to create VDS object. hr = 0x80040154.

From: Jevgenij Martynenko on
Tried this one?

Launch these commands in Command Promt:
_______________________
%SystemDrive%
CD \Windows\System32
Net stop vss
Net stop swprv
regsvr32 ole32.dll
regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
Vssvc /Register
regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
regsvr32 es.dll
regsvr32 stdprov.dll
regsvr32 vssui.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 msxml4.dll
_______________________

Then, reboot your server and check if "vssadmin list writers" command is
showing you the list of VSS Writers.

Hope this helps,
Jevgenij

From: Merv Porter [SBS-MVP] on
Have you re-registered the VSS dlls?
--------------------------------
net stop vss
regsvr32 ole32.dll
regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
Vssvc /Register
regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
regsvr32 es.dll
regsvr32 stdprov.dll
regsvr32 vssui.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 msxml4.dll

Maybe some other nuggets here:

VSS errors despite SP2 being installed
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs/browse_thread/thread/6674a35ce024d727/4f9d4c658037ace2?lnk=st&q=MSDEWriter%22+has+reported+an+error+0x800423f4.+This+is+part+of+System+State&rnum=1&hl=en#4f9d4c658037ace2

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]