From: Terence Liu [MSFT] on
Hello Simon,

Thank you for posting back.

I'm glad to hear that things are working correctly for you now.

I'd like to make a summary for this post:

Issue:
=============
Get the following error when backup SBS

"MSDEWriter" has reported an error 0x800423f4. This is part of System
State.
The backup cannot continue.

Resolutions:
=============
1). Try to find NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Foreign Security Principal in Active
Directory Users and Computers. If you do not find it, please run the
following command to add it back:

net localgroup users "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /add

2). Decided to try installing a new MSDE instance as a test using the
following command:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server SP4\MSDE\setup>SqlRun13.msi
blanksapwd=1
INSTANCENAME="SBSTEST" DATADIR="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\"
TARGETDIR="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\" /L*v
"C:\windows\temp\MSDE_SBSTest.log

3). Start the MSSQL$SBSTEST service. Also start the MSSQL$SBSMONITORING and
the MSSQL$SHAREPOINT services.

4). Then test the SBS Backup.

5). If the backup success finish, please uninstall the SBSTEST MSDE
Instance from Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs.

Please do not hesitate to post in this great newsgroup if you need any
assistance in the future. I look forward to working with you again.

Thank you and have a nice day,

Best regards,

Terence Liu(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?U2ltb24gRGFuaWVs?= <SimonDaniel(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: Re: SBS 2003 Backup failing
| Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 18:26:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
|
| Thanks a lot Terence.
|
| Your suggestion to install a new MSDE instance MSSQL$SBSTEST fixed the
| problem. After I uninstalled the MSSQL$SBSTEST instance the backup still
| works.
|

| "Terence Liu [MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hello Simon,
| >
| > Thank you for your post here.
| >
| > I understand that you encounter error 800423f4 when trying to backup
SBS
| > Server. If I have misunderstood your issue, please do let me know.
| >
| > I suggest that we first perform following generate troubleshoot steps
| > see how it goes.
| >
| > 1. Please apply the following hotfix first, most this error will be fix
by
| > this hotfix:
| >
| > 828481 Error 800423f4 appears in the backup log file when you back up a
| > volume by using the Volume Shadow Copy service in Windows Server 2003
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;828481
| >
| > 2. Since the error refers to the MSDEWriter, this issue may be related
| > with Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE) database files. As
| > 0x800423f4 is translated to VSS_E_WRITERERROR_NONRETRYABLE, I suggest
that
| > we have a check the service account issue of the MSDE instance.
| >
| > 1). Run Services.msc to bring up the Service console.
| > 2). Double click MSSQL$SHAREPOINT to open the properties page.
| > 3). In the logon tab, please make sure this service is running under
Local

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd9
| > 15706/MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE
| >
| > 2) Double-click on the MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE file.
| > [Note] This process may take some time; however, it will not have a
| > negative effect on the performance.
| >
| > 3) A CAB file will be generated in the
| > %systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Reports\Cab directory called
| > %COMPUTERNAME%_MPSReports.CAB. The CAB file will contain the reports
| > generated by the MPS Reporting Tool.
| >
| > Send the .cab file directly to me at v-terliu(a)microsoft.com
| >
| > Hope these steps will give you some help.
| >
| > Thanks and have a nice day!
| >
| > Best regards,
| >
| > Terence Liu(MSFT)
| >
| > Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

| > =====================================================
| > This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. If you have issues
| > regarding other Microsoft products, you'd better post in the
corresponding
| > newsgroups so that they can be resolved in an efficient and timely
manner.
| > You can locate the newsgroup here:
| > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx
| >
| > When opening a new thread via the web interface, we recommend you check
the
| > "Notify me of replies" box to receive e-mail notifications when there
are
| > any updates in your thread. When responding to posts via your
newsreader,
| > please "Reply to Group" so that others may learn and benefit from your
| > issue.
| >
| > Microsoft engineers can only focus on one issue per thread. Although we
| > provide other information for your reference, we recommend you post
| > different incidents in different threads to keep the thread clean. In
doing
| > so, it will ensure your issues are resolved in a timely manner.
| >
| > For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft CSS directly.
Please