From: Rob on
Every time i try to start Routing and Remote Access I recive these errors.

The service has returned a service-specific error code. (8007042a)
And this one in event veiwer
The Routing and Remote Access service terminated with service-specific error
2 (0x2)
From: Terence Liu [MSFT] on
Hello Rob,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, I understand that you get error when you try
to start the RRAS on SBS. If I have misunderstood the problem, please don't
hesitate to let me know.

Based on my research, I suggest we try the following steps to see if we can
resolve this issue:

I. I suggest we try to disable the RRAS and reconfigure all settings in
RRAS:

1. Disable RRAS

a. Schedule a network down time.

b. Please open Routing and Remote Access console on SBS thru run command
"rrasmgmt.msc"

c. Right click the SBSname (local), select Disable Routing and Remote
Access console

The step will drop out all settings in RRAS. Then, we have to Rerun the
CEICW to recreate the settings.

2. Go through the follow KB and Rerun CEICW again carefully. The CEICW will
reconfigure the RRAS:

How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825763/en-us

Detailed steps for your reference:

II. Please ensure you have install the SBS 2003 sp1 on your server:

Downloading and Installing Windows Small Business Server 2003 Service Pack 1
http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/0/f/e0fee8ce-768d-41c0-8871-9bc48e0
b3fc3/ToDownLoadFilesandReadInstructions.htm

If we cannot resolve the issue after we perform the above steps, please
kindly help me collect some information for further investigation:

1. Please capture screenshots on the error messages and send the pictures
to me at v-terliu(a)microsoft.com

2. Gather MPS network report:

a. Download MPSrepot_network from
http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd9
15706/MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE

b. Run MPSRPT_NETWORK.exe on the server box.

c. The tool will automatically collect the information. This procedure will
take 10~15 minutes.

d. Open Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder:
%SystemRoot%\MPSReports\Network\Reports\Cab\

e. Send the .cab file directly to me at v-terliu(a)microsoft.com

I hope these steps will give you some help.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Terence Liu(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------

From: Rob on
The first steps did not help so I'm sending you the reports.

From: Terence Liu [MSFT] on
Hello Rob,

Thank you for kind update.

After analyze your log files, I think this issue may occur if the
Oledb32.dll and Oledb32r.dll files are incorrectly registered. This
condition may be caused by a third-party program that is installed on the
computer.

To resolve this issue, follow these steps.

Step 1: Verify that the Administrators Group Has Full Control Permissions
Verify that the Administrators group has Full Control permissions to the
following files (if present) and folders, where Drive is the drive on which
Windows is installed:

Drive :\Winnt\System32\Ias
Drive :\Winnt\System32\Ias\Ias.mdb
Drive :\Winnt\System32\Ias\Dnary.mdb
Drive :\Winnt\Temp

To do this:
1. Start Windows Explorer, locate and right-click the file or folder, and
then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab.
3. Verify that the Administrators group is displayed in the Name list and
that it has Full Control permissions to the file or folder.

If the Administrators group does not appear on the Name list, add it. To do
this, follow these steps:
a. Click Add.
b. In the Select Users or Groups dialog box, click Administrators, click
Add, and then click OK.
c. To assign Full Control permission, click Administrators in the Name
list, and then in the Permissions list, click to select the Allow check box
next to Full Control.
d. Click OK.

Step 2: Reregister the Oledb32.dll and Oledb32r.dll Files
To register the Oledb32.dll and Oledb32r.dll files:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd , and then click OK.
3. At the command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after
each line (where Drive is the letter of the drive on which Windows is
installed):
Drive :

cd program files\common files\system\ole db
regsvr32 oledb32.dll
regsvr32 oledb32r.dll

4. Click OK when you receive the messages that the operation succeeded.
5. Type exit to close the command prompt.

Step 3: Register the vbscript.dll
regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\vbscript.dll

Then, try to start the RRAS.

If we still cannot resolve this issue after we perform the above steps, we
may need the tool RARepair to repair your RRAS.

> [...]

| > "Notify me of replies" box to receive e-mail notifications when there
are
| > any updates in your thread. When responding to posts via your
newsreader,
| > please "Reply to Group" so that others may learn and benefit from your
| > issue.
| >
| > Microsoft engineers can only focus on one issue per thread. Although we
| > provide other information for your reference, we recommend you post
| > different incidents in different threads to keep the thread clean. In
doing
| > so, it will ensure your issues are resolved in a timely manner.
| >
| > For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft CSS directly.
Please
| > check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
| >
| > Any input or comments in this thread are highly appreciated.

| > |
| > | Every time i try to start Routing and Remote Access I recive these
errors.
| > |
| > | The service has returned a service-specific error code. (8007042a)
| > | And this one in event veiwer
| > | The Routing and Remote Access service terminated with
service-specific
| > error
| > | 2 (0x2)
| > |

From: Rob on
Terence-
I followed your steps and it did not help. I still can not start the service.