From: Simon Daniel on
Yes, I have already tried that. Thanks.

From: Simon Daniel on
Yes, I've re-registered the VSS DLLs.

I will try some of the troubleshooting steps in the Google Groups thread you
linked to below.

From: Claus on
Did you do a register search on the CLSID?

Run tasklist /svc from the cmd and look at the SQL instances.

--
Claus

From: Iakov on

From: Iakov on
> Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1. "MSDEWriter" has reported an error
0x800423f4.
> This is part of System State. The backup cannot continue.

The System State part of SBS Backup Wizard expects to find certain
components. I set all Exchange services to Manual and backups failed hence
because the wizard expected to find Exchange Store service. Backups have
been 'Successful' since I restored that service to Automatic.

Extrapolating from that experience, I reckon you need to restore MSDE
(which I guess will reinstall MSDEWriter) which will please SBS Backup Wizard
very much.