From: Paul Tiwana on
When ever I try to search an old message in my inbox or outbox, I get
the nessage "completing updates to index:"
Nothing happens, I wait and wait and wait.
I reinstalled Eduro 7.1 over ny old 7.1, the same problem persists.
Any solution ?
Plz advise

Paul
tiwana(a)eastlink.ca
From: John H Meyers on
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 07:57:15 -0500, Paul Tiwana wrote:

> When ever I try to search an old message in my inbox or outbox,
> I get the nessage "completing updates to index:"
> Nothing happens, I wait and wait and wait.

"Indexed [X1] Search" is enabled by default,
as you can see in your "Find Messages" options,
although it functions only in "Paid" mode,
and only when you have installed Eudora 7
that was distributed before around June 2008,
when the "X1" library was removed from distribution
(because no one now pays for Eudora, hence Qualcomm
won't pay ongoing royalties to the original producer).

If you un-check the "Use X1" box and click "Re-Index Email"
then your existing (possibly damaged) indexes will be removed,
no further "background" indexing will take place,
and all searches will use the still very fast "internal" search.

Even without either suspending X1 or removing its indexes,
you can perform a "standard search" at any time,
by clicking the drop-down box
in the center of the "Find Messages" window,
where you can turn off "Use Fast (Indexed) Search"
for just the current search.

You can also have Eudora re-build all indexes,
by leaving the main feature enabled and using the
"Index Now" (catch up) or "Re-Index Email..." buttons
in the "Find Messages" options -- click the nearby
"question mark" [?] button in that same window,
before clicking the above buttons,
to see "help" text for each button
(or see your manual, where it's all fully explained).

The "X1" indexes reside in the "search" subfolder
within the mail "Data" folder -- they tend to be huge
(possibly larger than all the mail) and may take a long time
to create, depending on how much mail is to be indexed,
even though indexing occurs in the "background,"
when Eudora is not performing other tasks.

The "instant results" that X1 gives are basically
"paid in advance" by all this pre-indexing.

The types of searches also differ -- words must
"begin with" the search string, for example,
and a "matches x1 query" has a grammar of its own,
which at times may be easier to use than opening a set
of multiple conditions for a "standard" search.

Index corruption (e.g. upon any crash) is entirely possible,
and may require an entire re-build of all indexes to repair;
one may want to use the option buttons mentioned above,
in cases when the feature seems to have become deranged.