From: William M. Klein on
You don't tell us compiler or operating system, but from the mention of "S0C7",
I am *guessing* it is IBM mainframe (probably z/OS). Check out the LE callable
services described at:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/CEEA3170/2.2.5.1
and
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/CEEA3170/2.2.5.2

This (of course) assumes that YOU are testing for numeric fields and don't let
the system find them for you.

--
Bill Klein
wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

From: Howard Brazee on
On 11 Dec 2006 22:31:49 -0800, "E-mailID:" <ajai.47(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>i need to use direct abort codes in cobol for aborting my job..
>i.e if i have soem fields with non-numeric values then i need to set an
>abort code and stop the pgm there itself and return the abort codes..
>this should not be done with SOC7 or return codes..
>i heard that there are direct abort codes in cobol through which one
>can implement this..
>if anyone knows about this pls help me..

First, why not exit cleanly with a chosen return code that your JCL
can evaluate?

Look up 'CEE3ABC'.

05 MY-ABORT PIC X(08) VALUE 'CEE3ABC'.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 3 Line(s)
05 MY-ERROR PIC S9(9) BINARY VALUE 24.
05 CLEAN-UP PIC S9(9) BINARY VALUE 1.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - 3341 Line(s)
CALL MY-ABORT USING MY-ERROR, CLEAN-UP.
From: Arnold Trembley on

Ron wrote:

> "Michael Mattias" <mmattias(a)talsystems.com> wrote:
>
>>>i need to use direct abort codes in cobol for aborting my job..
>>>i.e if i have soem fields with non-numeric values then i need to set an
>>>abort code and stop the pgm there itself and return the abort codes..
>>>this should not be done with SOC7 or return codes..
>>
>>Um, if you don't use the return code, how do you plan on 'returning'
>>anything?
>

> He's looking for a user abend, it seems. This is a very
> obscure thing; it's not defined in the COBOL language spec.
> For IBM COBOL, the magic word is ILBOABN0 (the program you
> need to call to issue a user abend). I'm not sure how many
> dialects this works for.

ILBOABN0 is obsolete. It was part of the OS/VS COBOL runtime library.
There is a version in LE for compatibility, but I prefer to use
CEE3ABD instead. I believe it works the same as CEE3ABC in Howard
Brazee's example. But in my shop the standard for User Abend codes is
they must be in the range of 3000 to 3999.

If clean-up is set to zero, you don't get a storage dump, but you
still get the abend with user abend code. That will stop the batch job.

CEE3ABD and CEE3ABC should be documented in you Language Environment
manual.

--
http://arnold.trembley.home.att.net/

From: Kevin M on

<docdwarf(a)panix.com> wrote in message news:ellumm$fq$1(a)reader2.panix.com...
> In article <1165905109.388489.104690(a)n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
> E-mailID: <ajai.47(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>hi
>>
>>i need to use direct abort codes in cobol for aborting my job..
>
> Please do your own homework.
>
> DD

In other words, DD has no frigging clue!

From: Anonymous on
In article <X%Zgh.104$2Y2.99(a)newsfe03.lga>,
Kevin M <kmills44(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:

><docdwarf(a)panix.com> wrote in message news:ellumm$fq$1(a)reader2.panix.com...
>> In article <1165905109.388489.104690(a)n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
>> E-mailID: <ajai.47(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>hi
>>>
>>>i need to use direct abort codes in cobol for aborting my job..
>>
>> Please do your own homework.
>
>In other words, DD has no frigging clue!

I think I have enough of a clue as to what constitutes homework, aye.

DD