From: Geoff Schaller on
Yes.

My average VO project folder (including SCC) is around 200MB and this
will easily double in two months. My _Sysatom.vo starts off around 12MB
and grows with fragmentation. When it hits 20MB the repo seems to hit a
stability watermark and I find it time to rebuild.

The VOA files however are a further clue. This is where fragmentation
lives because all the old versions still exist in the file. I have many
that routinely exceed 50MB and these AEFs need constant rebuilding.

Geoff

From: Geoff Chambers on
On Jun 25, 8:47 pm, "Geoff Schaller"
<geo...(a)softxwareobjectives.com.au> wrote:
> Yes.
>
> My average VO project folder (including SCC) is around 200MB and this
> will easily double in two months. My _Sysatom.vo starts off around 12MB
> and grows with fragmentation. When it hits 20MB the repo seems to hit a
> stability watermark and I find it time to rebuild.
>
> The VOA files however are a further clue. This is where fragmentation
> lives because all the old versions still exist in the file. I have many
> that routinely exceed 50MB and these AEFs need constant rebuilding.
>
> Geoff
>
> "Geoff Chambers" <gchamber...(a)msn.com> wrote in message

> > On Jun 24, 6:35 pm, "Geoff Schaller"
> > <geo...(a)softxwareobjectives.com.au> wrote:
>
> > > Geoff,
>
> > > It is a newish bug to SP3. The repo has become more stable in some
> > > respects and less stable in others. I find it routinely loses its
> > > indexes on available controls, especially after large VSS actions or
> > > module delete/add operations.
>
> > > I just regularly reindex my projects and completely rebuild them once a
> > > month. Repo fragmentation still remains a significant flaw in the IDE..
>
> > > Geoff
>
> > > "Geoff Chambers" <gchamber...(a)msn.com> wrote in message

> > What do you mean when you say rebuild? Do you create a new Project and
> > import the required AEF's and delete the old Project?- Hide quoted text -

I noticed the VOA for my app is 16,542 KB, would there be any benfit
to breaking out some of the modules into a seperate AEF and link them
in as a LIB and later as a DLL?
From: Stephen Quinn on
Geoff

Try it.
The lib AEF will still get linked into your app, and you'll still have to
ship the DLL so you may not save all that much<g>

CYA
Steve

From: Geoff Schaller on
Geoff.

No - absolutely no benefit. Making one large AEF into two DLL's has the
following downsides:

* a net larger set of executables (because of prototypes)
* a net larger runtime environment (because of two sets of symbol tables
etc)
* a royal PITA in the repo because you cannot right-click into the
source
* potential dll hell issues for your installs
* management overhead maintaining prototypes

Breaking out functionality into separate DLLs was something we did in
the 90's to get over CPU and RAM limitation issues during design and
compile. It is not clever in the year 2010.

However, breaking up one AEF into two AEF's is very smart from a VO IDE
perspective because it will dramatically lessen repo instability. But
make them just libs, not dlls.

From: Geoff Chambers on
On Jun 26, 10:15 pm, "Geoff Schaller"
<geo...(a)softxwareobjectives.com.au> wrote:
> Geoff.
>
> No - absolutely no benefit. Making one large AEF into two DLL's has the
> following downsides:
>
> * a net larger set of executables (because of prototypes)
> * a net larger runtime environment (because of two sets of symbol tables
> etc)
> * a royal PITA in the repo because you cannot right-click into the
> source
> * potential dll hell issues for your installs
> * management overhead maintaining prototypes
>
> Breaking out functionality into separate DLLs was something we did in
> the 90's to get over CPU and RAM limitation issues during design and
> compile. It is not clever in the year 2010.
>
> However, breaking up one AEF into two AEF's is very smart from a VO IDE
> perspective because it will dramatically lessen repo instability. But
> make them just libs, not dlls.
>
> Geoff
>
> "Geoff Chambers" <gchamber...(a)msn.com> wrote in message

> > On Jun 25, 8:47 pm, "Geoff Schaller"
> > <geo...(a)softxwareobjectives.com.au> wrote:
>
> > > Yes.
>
> > > My average VO project folder (including SCC) is around 200MB and this
> > > will easily double in two months. My _Sysatom.vo starts off around 12MB
> > > and grows with fragmentation. When it hits 20MB the repo seems to hit a
> > > stability watermark and I find it time to rebuild.
>
> > > The VOA files however are a further clue. This is where fragmentation
> > > lives because all the old versions still exist in the file. I have many
> > > that routinely exceed 50MB and these AEFs need constant rebuilding.
>
> > > Geoff
>
> > > "Geoff Chambers" <gchamber...(a)msn.com> wrote in message

> > I noticed the VOA for my app is 16,542 KB, would there be any benfit
> > to breaking out some of the modules into a seperate AEF and link them
> > in as a LIB and later as a DLL?- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, I'll try moving all the server classes into one LIB and leave
the GUI stuff in the Main APP.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Austrailia