From: "Gary" on

"Richard Quadling" <rquadling(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 5 July 2010 14:48, Pete Ford <pete(a)justcroft.com> wrote:
>>> P.S. I don't have an emu.
>>
>> Clearly, or you'd know that they can't fly either...
>> :)
>
> GIGO!!!

Does that mean you do have a deathwatch beetle?

Gary

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5252 (20100705) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: Jason Pruim on

On Jul 5, 2010, at 9:14 AM, Peter Lind wrote:

> On 5 July 2010 15:02, Jason Pruim <lists(a)pruimphotography.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'll admit right now that I'm still trying to wrestle with inner
>> joins...
>> Which leaves me with this code right here:
>>
>> <?PHP
>>
>> if(isset($_GET['cat'])) {
>> $cat = mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['cat']);
>>
>> }
>>
>> if(isset($cat)) {
>> $sql = "SELECT * FROM ".$cfgtableContent." INNER JOIN
>> ".$cfgtableCategories." WHERE ".$cfgtableContent.".postCat = ".
>> $cat." ORDER
>> BY ".$cfgtableContent.".postNumber DESC";
>>
>> }
>>
>> ?>
>>
>> Now... I know the problem is probably staring an experienced inner
>> join
>> master in the face and I don't even have to say it... But for those
>> who
>> don't know or you might be searching the archives and want to learn
>> from my
>> blatant misunderstanding of inner joins I'll outline said problem
>> in the
>> following lines.
>>
>> What I want to achieve: Add navigation by category to my blog. IE:
>> If I want
>> to display just Personal posts click on the "Personal" link and all
>> other
>> posts magically disappear.
>>
>> What I'm getting now: I have 5 categories in my blog now... I get 5
>> copies
>> of each post repeated down the site all with a different category...
>>
>> All the variables are filled in correctly which I have checked with
>> simple
>> echo's. I have also tried removing the escaping of the data with no
>> change
>> so if possible I'd like to leave it in there as is :)
>>
>> I have also tried switching it from the above to this:
>>
>> <?PHP
>>
>> $sql = "SELECT * FROM ".$cfgtableContent." INNER JOIN
>> ".$cfgtableContent." WHERE ".$cfgtableCategories.".postCat = ".
>> $cat." ORDER
>> BY ".$cfgtableContent.".postNumber DESC";
>>
>> ?>
>>
>> with no change...
>>

> There's no join clause in your query, i.e. nothing to tie the two
> tables together. That will leave you with a cartesian product, i.e.
> for every row in table a you'll get the entire table b joined on. You
> need to specify how the tables you're joining together are related.
>
> Something like
>
> SELECT
> a.row
> FROM
> JOIN b ON b.a_id = a.id
>
> Regards
> Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for point it out... I thought I had it set right but obviously
not quite... You were able to put me onto the right path and after
playing with the variables I ended up with this:

<?PHP

if(isset($cat)) {
$sql = "SELECT * FROM ".$cfgtableContent.",".
$cfgtableCategories." WHERE ".$cfgtableCategories.".catID = ".$cat."
AND ".$cfgtableContent.".postCat = ".$cfgtableCategories.".catID ORDER
BY ".$cfgtableContent.".postNumber DESC";
}

?>

Which works just fine for me! :)

Joins can be some tricky stuff if you don't understand it completely...

From: Richard Quadling on
On 5 July 2010 17:27, Gary <gpaul(a)paulgdesigns.com> wrote:

> "Richard Quadling" <rquadling(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Clearly, or you'd know that they can't fly either...
>>> :)
>>
>> GIGO!!!
>

> Does that mean you do have a deathwatch beetle?
>
> Gary

No. It doesn't mean I've got a deathwatch beetle.

That would be a fallacious assumption
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: curl