From: Jason Pruim on
Hi everyone,

I'll admit right now that I'm still trying to wrestle with inner
joins... Which leaves me with this code right here:

<?PHP

if(isset($_GET['cat'])) {
$cat = mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['cat']);

}

if(isset($cat)) {
$sql = "SELECT * FROM ".$cfgtableContent." INNER JOIN
".$cfgtableCategories." WHERE ".$cfgtableContent.".postCat = ".$cat."
ORDER BY ".$cfgtableContent.".postNumber DESC";

}

?>

Now... I know the problem is probably staring an experienced inner
join master in the face and I don't even have to say it... But for
those who don't know or you might be searching the archives and want
to learn from my blatant misunderstanding of inner joins I'll outline
said problem in the following lines.

What I want to achieve: Add navigation by category to my blog. IE: If
I want to display just Personal posts click on the "Personal" link and
all other posts magically disappear.

What I'm getting now: I have 5 categories in my blog now... I get 5
copies of each post repeated down the site all with a different
category...

All the variables are filled in correctly which I have checked with
simple echo's. I have also tried removing the escaping of the data
with no change so if possible I'd like to leave it in there as is :)

I have also tried switching it from the above to this:

<?PHP

$sql = "SELECT * FROM ".$cfgtableContent." INNER JOIN
".$cfgtableContent." WHERE ".$cfgtableCategories.".postCat = ".$cat."
ORDER BY ".$cfgtableContent.".postNumber DESC";

?>

with no change...

Any ideas what I'm missing? :)

From: Peter Lind on
On 5 July 2010 15:02, Jason Pruim <lists(a)pruimphotography.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'll admit right now that I'm still trying to wrestle with inner joins...
> Which leaves me with this code right here:
>
> <?PHP
>
> if(isset($_GET['cat'])) {
>            $cat = mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['cat']);
>
>        }
>
>        if(isset($cat)) {
>               $sql = "SELECT * FROM ".$cfgtableContent." INNER JOIN
> ".$cfgtableCategories." WHERE ".$cfgtableContent.".postCat = ".$cat." ORDER
> BY ".$cfgtableContent.".postNumber DESC";
>
>        }
>
> ?>
>
> Now... I know the problem is probably staring an experienced inner join
> master in the face and I don't even have to say it... But for those who
> don't know or you might be searching the archives and want to learn from my
> blatant misunderstanding of inner joins I'll outline said problem in the
> following lines.
>
> What I want to achieve: Add navigation by category to my blog. IE: If I want
> to display just Personal posts click on the "Personal" link and all other
> posts magically disappear.
>
> What I'm getting now: I have 5 categories in my blog now... I get 5 copies
> of each post repeated down the site all with a different category...
>
> All the variables are filled in correctly which I have checked with simple
> echo's. I have also tried removing the escaping of the data with no change
> so if possible I'd like to leave it in there as is :)
>
> I have also tried switching it from the above to this:
>
> <?PHP
>
>               $sql = "SELECT * FROM ".$cfgtableContent." INNER JOIN
> ".$cfgtableContent." WHERE ".$cfgtableCategories.".postCat = ".$cat." ORDER
> BY ".$cfgtableContent.".postNumber DESC";
>
> ?>
>
> with no change...

There's no join clause in your query, i.e. nothing to tie the two
tables together. That will leave you with a cartesian product, i.e.
for every row in table a you'll get the entire table b joined on. You
need to specify how the tables you're joining together are related.

Something like

SELECT
a.row
FROM
JOIN b ON b.a_id = a.id

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
From: Richard Quadling on
On 5 July 2010 14:02, Jason Pruim <lists(a)pruimphotography.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'll admit right now that I'm still trying to wrestle with inner joins...

It is all about set theory. Imagine two circles, which overlap
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_diagram#Example as an example).

For that example, simplistically, A contains me and my emu. B contains
my emu and the my deathwatch beetle.

SELECT * FROM A,B WHERE A.id = B.id (My emu)

SELECT * FROM A INNER JOIN B ON A.id = B.id (My emu)

SELECT * FROM A LEFT OUTER JOIN B ON A.id = B.id (Me and My emu)

SELECT * FROM A RIGHT OUTER JOIN B ON A.id = B.id (My emu and my
deathwatch beetle)

SELECT * FROM A FULL OUTER JOIN B ON A.id = B.id

returns in interesting set (essentially all things but 1 column for each table).

Me, null
My emu, my emu
null, My deathwatch beetle.

If you were using ISNULL ...

SELECT ISNULL(A.name, B.name) AS name FROM A FULL OUTER JOIN B ON A.id = B.id

would return all things

Me
My emu
My deathwatch beetle.

And, (I think), finally, an inversion of the inner join.

SELECT ISNULL(A.name, B.name) AS name FROM A FULL OUTER JOIN B ON A.id
= B.id WHERE A.id IS NULL OR B.id IS NULL

returns

Me
My deathwatch beetle.

All things except those 2 legged things that can fly.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Richard.

P.S. I don't have an emu.
From: Pete Ford on
On 05/07/10 14:38, Richard Quadling wrote:
> On 5 July 2010 14:02, Jason Pruim<lists(a)pruimphotography.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'll admit right now that I'm still trying to wrestle with inner joins...
>
> It is all about set theory. Imagine two circles, which overlap
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_diagram#Example as an example).
>
> For that example, simplistically, A contains me and my emu. B contains
> my emu and the my deathwatch beetle.
>

> SELECT * FROM A,B WHERE A.id = B.id (My emu)
>
> SELECT * FROM A INNER JOIN B ON A.id = B.id (My emu)
>
> SELECT * FROM A LEFT OUTER JOIN B ON A.id = B.id (Me and My emu)
>
> SELECT * FROM A RIGHT OUTER JOIN B ON A.id = B.id (My emu and my
> deathwatch beetle)
>
> SELECT * FROM A FULL OUTER JOIN B ON A.id = B.id
>
> returns in interesting set (essentially all things but 1 column for each table).
>
> Me, null
> My emu, my emu
> null, My deathwatch beetle.
>
> If you were using ISNULL ...
>
> SELECT ISNULL(A.name, B.name) AS name FROM A FULL OUTER JOIN B ON A.id = B.id
>
> would return all things
>
> Me
> My emu
> My deathwatch beetle.
>

> And, (I think), finally, an inversion of the inner join.
>

> SELECT ISNULL(A.name, B.name) AS name FROM A FULL OUTER JOIN B ON A.id
> = B.id WHERE A.id IS NULL OR B.id IS NULL
>
> returns
>
> Me
> My deathwatch beetle.
>
> All things except those 2 legged things that can fly.
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard.
>
> P.S. I don't have an emu.

Clearly, or you'd know that they can't fly either...
:)

--
Peter Ford, Developer phone: 01580 893333 fax: 01580 893399
Justcroft International Ltd. www.justcroft.com
From: Richard Quadling on
On 5 July 2010 14:48, Pete Ford <pete(a)justcroft.com> wrote:
>> P.S. I don't have an emu.
>
> Clearly, or you'd know that they can't fly either...
> :)

GIGO!!!
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2