From: hadi motamedi on
Dear All
Can you please let me know how can I totally wipe out the entire of my hard
drive under Debian OS ?
Thank you in advance
Regards
H.Motamedi
From: Tim Tebbit on
hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> Can you please let me know how can I totally wipe out the entire of my
> hard drive under Debian OS ?
> Thank you in advance
> Regards
> H.Motamedi

wipe
dd
DBAN

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 11:13:42AM +0100, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> Can you please let me know how can I totally wipe out the entire of my hard
> drive under Debian OS ?

What for?

For installing a different OS? (Which one?)

To hide data?

--
Tzafrir Cohen | tzafrir(a)jabber.org | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's

On 2009-09-06 07:00, Tim Tebbit wrote:
> hadi motamedi wrote:
>> Dear All
>> Can you please let me know how can I totally wipe out the entire of my
>> hard drive under Debian OS ?
>> Thank you in advance
>> Regards
>> H.Motamedi
>>

> wipe
> dd
> DBAN

This is all you need on modern dives:
dd bs=1M count=Z if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdXY

If the value of this command drops below 200, wiggle the mouse around:
cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail

--
Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes!

H.Motamedi writes:
> Can you please let me know how can I totally wipe out the entire of my
> hard drive under Debian OS ?

Depends on what you want to accomplish. If you merely want to make the
disk appear empty use fdisk to delete all the partitions. If you want
to destroy all the data for security purposes install and use shred. It
will take quite a while on a large disk.
--
John Hasler