From: Mitchell Laks on
Hi,
I need to access a cisco vpn concentrator.

I tried using vpnc and keep getting a message
vpnc: response was invalid [1]: (ISAKMP_N_INVALID_EXCHANGE_TYPE)(7)
which I cannot figure out the cause for.
any ideas on how to handle that?

and so I am using the proprietary cisco vpnclient which is pretty bad.
1. it wont work on my dual core amd64 machine, it connects and freezes
2. while it does work on a regular single core amd64 machine, it does not work well.

If I do a command such as
ps aux
from a shell account, then i get only 2 lines of output and the shell freezes.

if i do
ps aux>outuput
then if I do
less output
i can see maybe 13 lines of output then it freezes.

if i do
emacs anyfillename it now also freezes
although yesterday it actually put me into an emacs
and i was able to edit.

any ideas?

Mitchell

Mitchell Laks <mlaks(a)post.harvard.edu> wrote:
> I need to access a cisco vpn concentrator.

> I tried using vpnc and keep getting a message
> vpnc: response was invalid [1]: (ISAKMP_N_INVALID_EXCHANGE_TYPE)(7)
> which I cannot figure out the cause for.
> any ideas on how to handle that?

I /think/ it's due to the server wanting you to change your initial
password. In the end I found I needed to use the Windows CISCO client
to do that bit, and since then I've had no problems using vpnc instead.

> If I do a command such as 'ps aux' from a shell account, then i get
> only 2 lines of output and the shell freezes.

This is on the remote system? Lower your MTU and restart the connection.

Chris