From: Al Dykes on

My Inspiron 1464 has a slot for a SIM card and the booklet says it
allows me to "browse the Internet, check email and connect to a VPN".

The 1464 has WiFi but no mention of a slot for a 3G/4G radio module or
anything else that might use the SIM card. I associate SIM cards with
the card I put in my cell phone to give it my identity.

What would require a card?

What kind of VPN setup uses a SIM card? I assume it would be for
two-part authentication.

--
Al Dykes

From: Animenia on

Hi.

You're on the right track... The sim card slot is as you suspected for
a sim card (same as in mobile phones).
It's used the exact same way as when you surf the web with your mobile
phone (Iphone etc)...

Good for spots where you have no WiFi.
The difference between having a sim card slot and not is that with the
slot you don't need the USB modem required to surf with a mobile
connection.

/ Ani