From: W on
We purchased an LG WH10LS30 SATA Blu-Ray DVD CD Burner. When we plug this
SATA drive into the SATA motherboard port on a Dell Precision 390
workstation, the drive is not seen by BIOS, or by OS. Is this because
motherboard SATA is tuned to hard drive use only?

If yes, what would be the best way to get this drive seen by Windows XP?

From: JayB on
did you turn the port ON in the bios?

From: W on
"JayB" <JayB(a)audiman.net> wrote in message
> did you turn the port ON in the bios?

Of course yes we turned the port on in BIOS. :)

To be sure of it we turned on all four SATA motherboard ports, so there was
also no confusion about did we turn on the correct port.

At boot time, the BIOS reports no device on that port. It may have
something to do with going into RAID mode (AHCI / Autodetect RAID) when it
encounters the two RAID 1 devices on SATA ports 0 and 1?

From: JayB on
never seen a "hard drive only" mode.
i use ahci/raid mode all the time for my non-raid systems.

could it be your new drive is dead on arrival?
try it in a different system.