From: Ben Myers on
On 7/3/2010 8:31 PM, shellyf_DELETE_(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 05:48:25 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
> <pheeh.zero(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 2, 8:38 pm, shellyf_DELE...(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>>> Laptop: Inspiron 1545, windows 7
>>> Wireless Card installed: half mini 1397 802.11g
>>> D Link 655 Router 802.11 pre N
>>>
>>> I wish to upgrade the wireless from g to N. What USB or 34mm wide
>>> Express Card should I purchase? From D Link?
>>>
>>> tia
>>
>> Are you experiencing a connection problem or a speed deficiency?
>> Because they are backwards compatible and should work together.
> Yes, y'all are correct - they work together. The reason for my wanting
> Wireless N all of the way is just: faster is better!
> Thanks for the post.

I hate to seem contrarian, but faster for what? Unless you have Verizon
FIOS or some other extremely fast internet service, 802.11n will buy you
nothing in performance compared to 802.11g for internet access. And
even then, you may notice little improvement in speed with a
near-optimum strong wifi signal. What 802.11n buys you is better
strength of signal and better range when two 802.11n devices (router and
laptop wifi card) are communicating.

However, if a 802.11n router is part of your network AND you routinely
share files with other computers on your network, 802.11n will give you
improved speed.

If you are expecting faster speeds from 802.11n, save your money. If
you want to get better signal quality, the price may be worth it. If
you want to tell your friends you have 802.11n, by all means, buy a card.

I have a few people who are still using the Linksys 802.11b routers I
sold them years ago. They have slow-as-a-slug basic Verizon DSL, and
would see zero improvement from a newer router and wifi cards, until the
802.11b router dies of old age... Ben Myers
From: shellyf_DELETE_ on
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 22:45:44 -0400, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
wrote:

>On 7/3/2010 8:31 PM, shellyf_DELETE_(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 05:48:25 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
>> <pheeh.zero(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Are you experiencing a connection problem or a speed deficiency?
>>> Because they are backwards compatible and should work together.
>> Yes, y'all are correct - they work together. The reason for my wanting
>> Wireless N all of the way is just: faster is better!
>> Thanks for the post.
>
>I hate to seem contrarian, but faster for what? Unless you have Verizon
>FIOS or some other extremely fast internet service, 802.11n will buy you
>nothing in performance compared to 802.11g for internet access. And
>even then, you may notice little improvement in speed with a
>near-optimum strong wifi signal. What 802.11n buys you is better
>strength of signal and better range when two 802.11n devices (router and
>laptop wifi card) are communicating.
>
>However, if a 802.11n router is part of your network AND you routinely
>share files with other computers on your network, 802.11n will give you
>improved speed.
>
>If you are expecting faster speeds from 802.11n, save your money. If
>you want to get better signal quality, the price may be worth it. If
>you want to tell your friends you have 802.11n, by all means, buy a card.
>
>I have a few people who are still using the Linksys 802.11b routers I
>sold them years ago. They have slow-as-a-slug basic Verizon DSL, and
>would see zero improvement from a newer router and wifi cards, until the
>802.11b router dies of old age... Ben Myers
I have a D Link 655 Router 802.11 pre N connected to a modem with my
ISP being Comcast cable.
Ben: are y'all saying that the quality of connection to my wireless
laptop will not improve with a new wireless N card installed?
I thought that it would - as an example, Skype used on my desktop
which is hard wired to the router has significantly better video
quality than the wireless laptop.
Thanks for the post. Happy 4th.
From: Ben Myers on
On 7/4/2010 7:57 PM, shellyf_DELETE_(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 22:45:44 -0400, Ben Myers<ben_myers(a)charter.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/3/2010 8:31 PM, shellyf_DELETE_(a)hotmail.com wrote:

>>> Yes, y'all are correct - they work together. The reason for my wanting
>>> Wireless N all of the way is just: faster is better!
>>> Thanks for the post.
>>
>> I hate to seem contrarian, but faster for what? Unless you have Verizon
>> FIOS or some other extremely fast internet service, 802.11n will buy you
>> nothing in performance compared to 802.11g for internet access. And
>> even then, you may notice little improvement in speed with a
>> near-optimum strong wifi signal. What 802.11n buys you is better
>> strength of signal and better range when two 802.11n devices (router and
>> laptop wifi card) are communicating.
>>
>> However, if a 802.11n router is part of your network AND you routinely
>> share files with other computers on your network, 802.11n will give you
>> improved speed.
>>
>> If you are expecting faster speeds from 802.11n, save your money. If
>> you want to get better signal quality, the price may be worth it. If
>> you want to tell your friends you have 802.11n, by all means, buy a card.
>>
>> I have a few people who are still using the Linksys 802.11b routers I
>> sold them years ago. They have slow-as-a-slug basic Verizon DSL, and
>> would see zero improvement from a newer router and wifi cards, until the
>> 802.11b router dies of old age... Ben Myers
> I have a D Link 655 Router 802.11 pre N connected to a modem with my
> ISP being Comcast cable.
> Ben: are y'all saying that the quality of connection to my wireless
> laptop will not improve with a new wireless N card installed?
> I thought that it would - as an example, Skype used on my desktop
> which is hard wired to the router has significantly better video
> quality than the wireless laptop.
> Thanks for the post. Happy 4th.

I may have not said it clearly the first time. The quality of a
wireless connection will improve an 802.11n card in your 1545, but the
speed probably will not. On the other hand, if you are getting a 5-bar
signal with 802.11g in most places where you use the internet, the
quality can't get much better either... Ben Myers