From: shellyf_DELETE_ on
Laptop: Inspiron 1545, windows 7
Wireless Card installed: half mini 1397 802.11g
D Link 655 Router 802.11 pre N

I wish to upgrade the wireless from g to N. What USB or 34mm wide
Express Card should I purchase? From D Link?

tia
From: Bob Villa on
On Jul 2, 8:38 pm, shellyf_DELE...(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> Laptop: Inspiron 1545, windows 7
> Wireless Card installed:  half mini 1397 802.11g
> D Link 655 Router 802.11 pre N
>
> I wish to upgrade the wireless from g to N. What USB or 34mm wide
> Express Card should I purchase? From D Link?
>
> tia

Are you experiencing a connection problem or a speed deficiency?
Because they are backwards compatible and should work together.
From: Christopher Muto on
shellyf_DELETE_(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> Laptop: Inspiron 1545, windows 7
> Wireless Card installed: half mini 1397 802.11g
> D Link 655 Router 802.11 pre N
>
> I wish to upgrade the wireless from g to N. What USB or 34mm wide
> Express Card should I purchase? From D Link?
>
> tia

depending on the video card in your inspiron 1545, upgrading the
wireless card can be easy or difficult. if you have the intel
integrated video then access to the wireless card is just under a panel
on the bottom of the system. if you have the ati mobility radeon card
then it is a lot of work to get to the wireless card (see the service
manual for details). i can't recall if a regular size mini pci express
card or or a half sized card fits. open it up and look. if it can fit
a full sized card this is a good choice...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106040
ps. mini-pci is a different form factor than mini-pci-express (aka
mini-pcie).
From: shellyf_DELETE_ on
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 10:16:11 -0400, Christopher Muto
<muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>shellyf_DELETE_(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>> Laptop: Inspiron 1545, windows 7
>> Wireless Card installed: half mini 1397 802.11g
>> D Link 655 Router 802.11 pre N
>>
>> I wish to upgrade the wireless from g to N. What USB or 34mm wide
>> Express Card should I purchase? From D Link?
>>
>> tia
>
>depending on the video card in your inspiron 1545, upgrading the
>wireless card can be easy or difficult. if you have the intel
>integrated video then access to the wireless card is just under a panel
>on the bottom of the system. if you have the ati mobility radeon card
>then it is a lot of work to get to the wireless card (see the service
>manual for details). i can't recall if a regular size mini pci express
>card or or a half sized card fits. open it up and look. if it can fit
>a full sized card this is a good choice...
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106040
>ps. mini-pci is a different form factor than mini-pci-express (aka
>mini-pcie).
Thank you for the response. I will check the video card and hae a
look, for sure.
Incidentally, the literature on the 5100 indicates that it is not
compatible with the Inspiron 1545
From: shellyf_DELETE_ on
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 05:48:25 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
<pheeh.zero(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 2, 8:38�pm, shellyf_DELE...(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>> Laptop: Inspiron 1545, windows 7
>> Wireless Card installed: �half mini 1397 802.11g
>> D Link 655 Router 802.11 pre N
>>
>> I wish to upgrade the wireless from g to N. What USB or 34mm wide
>> Express Card should I purchase? From D Link?
>>
>> tia
>
>Are you experiencing a connection problem or a speed deficiency?
>Because they are backwards compatible and should work together.
Yes, y'all are correct - they work together. The reason for my wanting
Wireless N all of the way is just: faster is better!
Thanks for the post.