From: Sam Spade on
Saw on Costco online these 2 Dells. Will replace Compaq SR2020NX which I
purchased at Circuit City 4 years ago. Prior to that I had Dell's but at the
buying time heard they were over priced and their service had gone down
hill. Wondering how it is now although Costco gives 2 years.
Use Works for my business needs and not big into DVDs (watch on our TV's).
Really looking for Windows 7, Works, Quicken and Internet (have cable).
Looks like Windows 7 offers a lot of software in their OS.
Can someone recommend either one of these pc's or perhaps another Dell model
(would hope cheaper). Forgot, a good moniter is very important.
TIA

From: BillW50 on
In news:4c1a3440$0$31268$607ed4bc(a)cv.net,
Sam Spade typed on Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:42:23 -0400:
> Use Works for my business needs and not big into DVDs (watch on our
> TV's). Really looking for Windows 7, Works, Quicken and Internet
> (have cable). Looks like Windows 7 offers a lot of software in their
> OS.

Well I am not a big fan of Windows 7, ran Windows 7 Ultimate RC for a
year and I went back to XP on seven of my computers for starters. I
still have two unopened Windows 7 up on the shelf that I seriously
believe that I will never use. They should make okay drink coasters
though. ;-)

And as far as MS Works is concern, Microsoft killed it. So you better
start buying all of the copies that you will need for the rest of your
life. Last version was v10 I believe. And I don't think you will find
new computers with MS Works on them anymore.

The versions of Works I have played with are v2, v3, v4, v4.5, v6, v8,
and v9. I tend to like v4.x the best. Although I really use MS Office
2000 more times than not.

And I forget which update to Works it was. Either v8 or v9 update that
removes that Art stuff. So if you use that, careful of those updates. MS
gave the reason at the time that they no longer support it. Well ok, no
reason to remove it from one's computer though. Geez!

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

From: Tony Harding on
On 06/18/10 12:55, BillW50 wrote:
> In news:4c1a3440$0$31268$607ed4bc(a)cv.net,
> Sam Spade typed on Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:42:23 -0400:
>> Use Works for my business needs and not big into DVDs (watch on our
>> TV's). Really looking for Windows 7, Works, Quicken and Internet
>> (have cable). Looks like Windows 7 offers a lot of software in their
>> OS.
>
> Well I am not a big fan of Windows 7, ran Windows 7 Ultimate RC for a
> year and I went back to XP on seven of my computers for starters. I
> still have two unopened Windows 7 up on the shelf that I seriously
> believe that I will never use. They should make okay drink coasters
> though. ;-)
>
> And as far as MS Works is concern, Microsoft killed it. So you better
> start buying all of the copies that you will need for the rest of your
> life. Last version was v10 I believe. And I don't think you will find
> new computers with MS Works on them anymore.
>
> The versions of Works I have played with are v2, v3, v4, v4.5, v6, v8,
> and v9. I tend to like v4.x the best. Although I really use MS Office
> 2000 more times than not.
>
> And I forget which update to Works it was. Either v8 or v9 update that
> removes that Art stuff. So if you use that, careful of those updates. MS
> gave the reason at the time that they no longer support it. Well ok, no
> reason to remove it from one's computer though. Geez!

Hm, lots fewer computers; but I'm very happy with Win 7 Pro on my XPS
9000 (still) & XPS 410 (retired after a couple of months on Win 7 Pro,
replaced by the 9000). Win 7 was a major improvement from day 1 over
Vista (killed it and installed XP).

From: Daddy on
Tony Harding wrote:
> On 06/18/10 12:55, BillW50 wrote:
>> In news:4c1a3440$0$31268$607ed4bc(a)cv.net,
>> Sam Spade typed on Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:42:23 -0400:
>>> Use Works for my business needs and not big into DVDs (watch on our
>>> TV's). Really looking for Windows 7, Works, Quicken and Internet
>>> (have cable). Looks like Windows 7 offers a lot of software in their
>>> OS.
>>
>> Well I am not a big fan of Windows 7, ran Windows 7 Ultimate RC for a
>> year and I went back to XP on seven of my computers for starters. I
>> still have two unopened Windows 7 up on the shelf that I seriously
>> believe that I will never use. They should make okay drink coasters
>> though. ;-)
>>
>> And as far as MS Works is concern, Microsoft killed it. So you better
>> start buying all of the copies that you will need for the rest of your
>> life. Last version was v10 I believe. And I don't think you will find
>> new computers with MS Works on them anymore.
>>
>> The versions of Works I have played with are v2, v3, v4, v4.5, v6, v8,
>> and v9. I tend to like v4.x the best. Although I really use MS Office
>> 2000 more times than not.
>>
>> And I forget which update to Works it was. Either v8 or v9 update that
>> removes that Art stuff. So if you use that, careful of those updates. MS
>> gave the reason at the time that they no longer support it. Well ok, no
>> reason to remove it from one's computer though. Geez!
>
> Hm, lots fewer computers; but I'm very happy with Win 7 Pro on my XPS
> 9000 (still) & XPS 410 (retired after a couple of months on Win 7 Pro,
> replaced by the 9000). Win 7 was a major improvement from day 1 over
> Vista (killed it and installed XP).

<lol> It doesn't sound like BillW50 is interested in what other people
have to say.

What I find particularly amusing is that many people hated Windows XP
when it was first released and vowed to keep on using Windows 98.

Years from now these same people will fill the newsgroups with rants
about Windows "X" and vow to keep on using Windows 7.

When Firefox was first released it quickly gained a loyal following
because, after all, it was a renegade...and it wasn't Internet Explorer.
Now that Firefox is well-established in the market, the snipers are
coming out once again and the new darling is Google Chrome.

Remember when Toyota was the hero vs. big bad Detroit?

Some people just like to rant.

Daddy
Who misses DOS and Lotus 1-2-3
From: BillW50 on
In news:hvga130tae(a)news7.newsguy.com,
Tony Harding typed on Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:23:55 -0400:
> Hm, lots fewer computers; but I'm very happy with Win 7 Pro on my XPS
> 9000 (still) & XPS 410 (retired after a couple of months on Win 7 Pro,
> replaced by the 9000). Win 7 was a major improvement from day 1 over
> Vista (killed it and installed XP).

I only buy Celeron based computers Tony. And I can tell you that Windows
7 eats up about 20% of a 1.5GHz Celeron just for itself. XP on the same
machines runs just 3% of the CPU power. And on a 900MHz Celeron running
at 633MHz, Windows 7 eats up a whopping 50% of the CPU power at idle.

And if you play high end games on your computer(s), notice the minimum
specs. Installing them on a XP machine vs. Windows 7. The XP one
requires less speed and memory than it does for Windows 7. So it is a no
brainier Windows 7 eats a lot more of your CPU than XP does. Plus my
processors heat up 20�F hotter under Windows 7. That is strike one!

Secondly, Windows 7 security is really annoying. And it locks me out
doing simple things like renaming and editing ini files and such.
Windows 7 has renamed some of my folders to its liking. Windows 7 treats
the user as idiots. Sorry I have been using computers since the 70's,
and I find it to be offensive. As I believe if you make software idiot
proof, only an idiot would want to use it. Second strike!

We experts used to save screen shots in our documentations so the user
knows what to look for. Since Vista and now Windows 7, this can't be
done no more. As users can change the look of the screens so what the
document writer sees and what the user sees can be totally different.
Third strike!

Need 16GB minimum just for an OS? You got to be kidding? Not even the
movie Avatar eats up all of those bits on DVD. No wonder you need all of
that memory and all of that speed just to feed the bloody OS. Sorry, I
am from the old school. And the OS shouldn't use hardly any CPU power at
all and should work in the background and stay out of the way of the
user. Windows 7 does just the opposite.

I do understand that there is a market for Windows 7. As about 80% likes
it and abut 20% doesn't. Well I am in the latter camp. And I have been
buying as many Windows XP machines as I can. Because I don't believe
Microsoft could top XP anymore. I guess all of the great MS programmers
must have all retired by now. And we will no longer see anything as good
as XP was ever again. Luckily, XP is still the most popular OS out
there. So there is still some hope. ;-)

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2 (quit Windows updates back in May 2009)

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Replacement for Dell 8110?
Next: Inspiron 570