From: James on
I am ready to replace my Dell 8110. My price range is "around" $500.
I use the computer for web browsing, email, and some document handling.
Don't need fancy graphics, but would like whatever I get to be faster than
the 8110. Huge disk space isn't important either.

What would you all recommend in this price range, for a basic desktop
replacement for my Dell 8110 ??

Thanks !!

James

From: Daddy on
James wrote:
> I am ready to replace my Dell 8110. My price range is "around" $500.
> I use the computer for web browsing, email, and some document handling.
> Don't need fancy graphics, but would like whatever I get to be faster than
> the 8110. Huge disk space isn't important either.
>
> What would you all recommend in this price range, for a basic desktop
> replacement for my Dell 8110 ??
>
> Thanks !!
>
> James

Almost /anything/ you can buy will be faster. Computers in the $500
range are commodities; buy what's on sale.

Daddy
From: Christopher Muto on
James wrote:
> I am ready to replace my Dell 8110. My price range is "around" $500.
> I use the computer for web browsing, email, and some document handling.
> Don't need fancy graphics, but would like whatever I get to be faster than
> the 8110. Huge disk space isn't important either.
>
> What would you all recommend in this price range, for a basic desktop
> replacement for my Dell 8110 ??
>
> Thanks !!
>
> James

not sure what an 8110 is but am guessing that it is a desktop.
dell doesn't sell any really inexpensive desktops that are good values.
they bait you with low prices for machines that really skimp on the
configuration (miserable slow processor, limited memory, limited disk,
no recordable drive) and when you upgrade to the desired component you
are suddendly at a price point beyond what you wanted (and would have
been better off starting with a better configured system on the dell
site in the first place).
also you didn't say if you needed a monitor or not and almost all dells
come with monitors (it is hard to find systems that can be configured
without).
i suggest you have a look at this machine from staples. it is good
price on a very capable machine.
http://www.staples.com/Compaq-Presario-CQ5320F-Desktop-PC/product_847570

From: Pen on
On 6/16/2010 3:55 PM, James wrote:
> I am ready to replace my Dell 8110. My price range is "around" $500.
> I use the computer for web browsing, email, and some document handling.
> Don't need fancy graphics, but would like whatever I get to be faster than
> the 8110. Huge disk space isn't important either.
>
> What would you all recommend in this price range, for a basic desktop
> replacement for my Dell 8110 ??
>
> Thanks !!
>
> James

I'd recommend going to the Dell outlet.
I recently got an Inspiron 560 with 8GB of ram and a 2.93
GHz core 2 duo in your price range. Came with 64 bit win7.
From: Ben Myers on
On 6/16/2010 3:55 PM, James wrote:
> I am ready to replace my Dell 8110. My price range is "around" $500.
> I use the computer for web browsing, email, and some document handling.
> Don't need fancy graphics, but would like whatever I get to be faster than
> the 8110. Huge disk space isn't important either.
>
> What would you all recommend in this price range, for a basic desktop
> replacement for my Dell 8110 ??
>
> Thanks !!
>
> James

I'll bet you have a Dimension 8100, not an 8110. Very slow by modern
standards, and replaced inexpensively by most any far faster Dell
desktop you buy... Ben Myers