From: Boris on
Christopher Muto <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in

>>> http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dddobh1&c=us&l=
> [...]
>>> (these days that takes dell two weeks or more to do).
>>
>> Not if you pick a 48-hour model. Not a 48 hour model, but I ordered
>> an XPS 9000 on the Web 12/22/09 with 2 day shipping and it was
>> delivered 12/31/09, which included Christmas.
>>
>> Another difference, if you buy an HP/Compaq, you have an HP/Compaq.
>> Don't know what this is worth to you, but I'd go for a Dell. To look
>> at comparable dollars, can you configure the Paq with a bigger
>> HDD/video card?
>>
>> How much memory do they have and what version of Win is included?
>
> and xps 9000 with monitor is not going to fit this persons stated
> budget of $500. and why do you think hp/compaq is inferior to dell
> when all recent surveys now rate hp/cpq a notch above dell, which i
> tend to agree with. the only thing dell has going for it is the
> system service manuals listed on their support web site which are a
> tremendous value to laptop owners once their system is out of warranty
> as it affords them the possibility of doing a repair themselves. i
> don't understand what dell is doing to sustain its business. there is
> nothing innovative or forward thinking about the company right now.
> they are not at all diversified or even offering anything remotely
> interesting. the dell phone was a total flop (what were they
> thinking?). they sell commodity computers of which the most creative
> thing they have done in the last five years has been to take a page
> from sony's play book and offer their computers with different color
> front panels. they seem to get 10% of the cost of the entire system
> just for the panel. dell has shifted away from their core business of
> made to order machines to pre-built machines via costco, staples,
> bestbuy, and their own mail order 'fasttrack' models. built to order
> machines now require the longest wait times in their history and for
> that they actually charge you more (ie a vostro 430 fastrack elite
> costs $789 and the same configuration as the one fasttrack model
> (which only comes preloaded with windows xp, yes xp) made from the
> various configurations of their build to order vostro 430 machines
> cost $75 to $150 more. hp has a lot more to their product line than
> just pcs and laptops. sure dell sells printers, but they don't make
> them. hp actually makes its own printers and they have a more depth
> to their printer offerings as well as respect by business buyers.
> i feel kind of sad and sorry for dell, they seem to be going the
> way
> of gm and right now are coming off of years of tremendous success that
> lead them to complacency and laziness. they need to do something fast
> or i think they may slip away altogether. hp has $120 billion in
> revenues and a 7.09% profit margin. dell has $55 billion in revenue
> and a meager 2.86% profit margin. it can not survive in its present
> condition and so it is no surprise that customer service (viewed as a
> cost and not an income center) is suffering at dell.

Interesting post. While I'm not in the market right now for any type of
a machine, I have been watching Dell's offerings with interest, and
noticed the push towards ready to ship average machines, that when I
customize, get way too expensive. Also, the outlet prices aren't all
that great unless you happen to catch something once in a while. I used
to buy and recommend Dell exclusively to friends and relatives, but no
longer. The manuals are very handy, but the tradeoff isn't worth it
anymore. I have begun looking at other manufacturers for laptops and
desktops.

My daughter bought a 13" Win7 Toshiba laptop a few months ago, and she
really likes it, and so do I. First non-dell in the extended family for
10 years.

My other daughter bought a 21" iMac three weeks ago, after using Dells
since 1999. She is having fun, and I sort of like it just because it's
'different' (for me).

FWIW....
From: Tony Harding on
On 06/18/10 22:13, Christopher Muto wrote:
> Tony Harding wrote:

>>> i shopped dell for a low end machine and found their least expensive
>>> model which is very comparable system to the $299 one i mentioned from
>>> staples...
>>> http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dddobh1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>>>

>>> the dell costs $100 more ($379 + $19 shipping = $398 plus tax) which is
>>> not a lot of dollars but it is a huge 33% percentage difference. the
>>> dell does have a larger hard disk (750gb vs 500gb) and a slightly better
>>> integrated video card, but that is it. certainly not worth the 33%
>>> ($100) premium. there is one other difference between these two
>>> machine... the compaq you can take home from staples today and the dell
>>> you will have to wait for to be build and then shipped (these days that
>>> takes dell two weeks or more to do).
>>
>> Not if you pick a 48-hour model. Not a 48 hour model, but I ordered an
>> XPS 9000 on the Web 12/22/09 with 2 day shipping and it was delivered
>> 12/31/09, which included Christmas.
>>
>> Another difference, if you buy an HP/Compaq, you have an HP/Compaq.
>> Don't know what this is worth to you, but I'd go for a Dell. To look
>> at comparable dollars, can you configure the Paq with a bigger
>> HDD/video card?
>>
>> How much memory do they have and what version of Win is included?
>
> and xps 9000 with monitor is not going to fit this persons stated budget
> of $500.

Of course not, offered only to show shipping, not a suggestion to OP.

> and why do you think hp/compaq is inferior to dell when all
> recent surveys now rate hp/cpq a notch above dell,

I may be woefully out of date, but when I looked at Compaqs and Dells
about a decade ago the Dells were a much better box, e.g., the Compaqs
had proprietary parts, sharp interior edges, sloppy wiring, etc. Dell
offered much more bang for one's dollar. I never got the impression
things got any better under Carly F. No personal experience with H-P
boxes, but under the impression they're middle of the road quality &
performance.

> which i tend to agree
> with. the only thing dell has going for it is the system service manuals
> listed on their support web site which are a tremendous value to laptop
> owners once their system is out of warranty as it affords them the
> possibility of doing a repair themselves. i don't understand what dell
> is doing to sustain its business. there is nothing innovative or forward
> thinking about the company right now. they are not at all diversified or
> even offering anything remotely interesting. the dell phone was a total
> flop (what were they thinking?). they sell commodity computers of which
> the most creative thing they have done in the last five years has been
> to take a page from sony's play book and offer their computers with
> different color front panels. they seem to get 10% of the cost of the
> entire system just for the panel. dell has shifted away from their core
> business of made to order machines to pre-built machines via costco,
> staples, bestbuy, and their own mail order 'fasttrack' models.

Hm, I order either build to order or Outlet from Dell and have never had
a delay on the delivery side (talking real world dates, not the fairy
tales which emerge from their ordering system sometimes).

> built to order machines now require the longest wait times in their history and
> for that they actually charge you more (ie a vostro 430 fastrack elite
> costs $789 and the same configuration as the one fasttrack model (which
> only comes preloaded with windows xp, yes xp) made from the various
> configurations of their build to order vostro 430 machines cost $75 to
> $150 more.

Didn't experience anything like that when I bought the XPS 9000 12/09.

> hp has a lot more to their product line than just pcs and laptops.

So does GM, what's your point?

> sure dell sells printers, but they don't make them. hp actually
> makes its own printers and they have a more depth to their printer
> offerings as well as respect by business buyers.

I've never considered buying a Dell printer. I've had 2 HP LaserJets, a
Series II in 1987 (a workhorse, well designed & built, lasted for years)
and a Personal 5XL in 1997 (developed feed problems in a year or 2). I
believe the ones designed for office use were still well designed &
built, like the Series II. Currently using a Brother Laser MFC-8840D
all-in-one, a real workhorse, since 2005, and an Epson Color Stylus R300
for color stuff since 2004. They've both been extraordinary IMHO.

> i feel kind of sad and
> sorry for dell, they seem to be going the way of gm and right now are
> coming off of years of tremendous success that lead them to complacency
> and laziness.

I sure hope not, but time will tell.