From: Tony Harding on
On 06/17/10 10:05, Christopher Muto wrote:
> Christopher Muto wrote:
>> James wrote:
>>> I am ready to replace my Dell 8110. My price range is "around" $500.
>>> I use the computer for web browsing, email, and some document handling.
>>> Don't need fancy graphics, but would like whatever I get to be faster
>>> than
>>> the 8110. Huge disk space isn't important either.
>>>
>>> What would you all recommend in this price range, for a basic desktop
>>> replacement for my Dell 8110 ??
>>>
>>> Thanks !!
>>>
>>> James
>>>

>> not sure what an 8110 is but am guessing that it is a desktop.
>> dell doesn't sell any really inexpensive desktops that are good
>> values. they bait you with low prices for machines that really skimp
>> on the configuration (miserable slow processor, limited memory,
>> limited disk, no recordable drive) and when you upgrade to the desired
>> component you are suddendly at a price point beyond what you wanted
>> (and would have been better off starting with a better configured
>> system on the dell site in the first place).
>> also you didn't say if you needed a monitor or not and almost all
>> dells come with monitors (it is hard to find systems that can be
>> configured without).
>> i suggest you have a look at this machine from staples. it is good
>> price on a very capable machine.
>> http://www.staples.com/Compaq-Presario-CQ5320F-Desktop-PC/product_847570
>>

> i shopped dell for a low end machine and found their least expensive
> model which is very comparable system to the $299 one i mentioned from
> staples...
> http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dddobh1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>
> the dell costs $100 more ($379 + $19 shipping = $398 plus tax) which is
> not a lot of dollars but it is a huge 33% percentage difference. the
> dell does have a larger hard disk (750gb vs 500gb) and a slightly better
> integrated video card, but that is it. certainly not worth the 33%
> ($100) premium. there is one other difference between these two
> machine... the compaq you can take home from staples today and the dell
> you will have to wait for to be build and then shipped (these days that
> takes dell two weeks or more to do).

Not if you pick a 48-hour model. Not a 48 hour model, but I ordered an
XPS 9000 on the Web 12/22/09 with 2 day shipping and it was delivered
12/31/09, which included Christmas.

Another difference, if you buy an HP/Compaq, you have an HP/Compaq.
Don't know what this is worth to you, but I'd go for a Dell. To look at
comparable dollars, can you configure the Paq with a bigger HDD/video card?

How much memory do they have and what version of Win is included?
From: Tony Harding on
On 06/16/10 17:57, Pen wrote:
> On 6/16/2010 3:55 PM, James wrote:
>> I am ready to replace my Dell 8110. My price range is "around" $500.
>> I use the computer for web browsing, email, and some document handling.
>> Don't need fancy graphics, but would like whatever I get to be faster than
>> the 8110. Huge disk space isn't important either.
>>
>> What would you all recommend in this price range, for a basic desktop
>> replacement for my Dell 8110 ??
>>
>> Thanks !!
>>
>> James
>>

> I'd recommend going to the Dell outlet.
> I recently got an Inspiron 560 with 8GB of ram and a 2.93
> GHz core 2 duo in your price range. Came with 64 bit win7.

A great idea! I've bought most of my Dells from their outlet the past 10
years as well as a couple of monitors.

From: Christopher Muto on
Tony Harding wrote:
> On 06/16/10 17:57, Pen wrote:
>> On 6/16/2010 3:55 PM, James wrote:
>>> I am ready to replace my Dell 8110. My price range is "around"
>>> $500.
>>> I use the computer for web browsing, email, and some document handling.
>>> Don't need fancy graphics, but would like whatever I get to be faster
>>> than
>>> the 8110. Huge disk space isn't important either.
>>>
>>> What would you all recommend in this price range, for a basic desktop
>>> replacement for my Dell 8110 ??
>>>
>>> Thanks !!
>>>
>>> James
>>>

>> I'd recommend going to the Dell outlet.
>> I recently got an Inspiron 560 with 8GB of ram and a 2.93
>> GHz core 2 duo in your price range. Came with 64 bit win7.
>
> A great idea! I've bought most of my Dells from their outlet the past 10
> years as well as a couple of monitors.

i never find computer bargains on the outlet. i am sure they come up
from time to time but mostly you are paying nearly as much as new and
you are having to get something that you don't want or need (which of
course you are paying for and hence why it is no bargain). and watch
out about the monitors as they only have 90 day warranties. when you
add in even the cost of a one year warranty upgrade you are paying
almost the same as new on many models as well as for shipping. keep in
mind that most dell monitors come standard with a three year warranty.
From: Christopher Muto on
Tony Harding wrote:
> On 06/17/10 10:05, Christopher Muto wrote:
>> Christopher Muto wrote:

>>> not sure what an 8110 is but am guessing that it is a desktop.
>>> dell doesn't sell any really inexpensive desktops that are good
>>> values. they bait you with low prices for machines that really skimp
>>> on the configuration (miserable slow processor, limited memory,
>>> limited disk, no recordable drive) and when you upgrade to the desired
>>> component you are suddendly at a price point beyond what you wanted
>>> (and would have been better off starting with a better configured
>>> system on the dell site in the first place).
>>> also you didn't say if you needed a monitor or not and almost all
>>> dells come with monitors (it is hard to find systems that can be
>>> configured without).
>>> i suggest you have a look at this machine from staples. it is good
>>> price on a very capable machine.
>>> http://www.staples.com/Compaq-Presario-CQ5320F-Desktop-PC/product_847570
>>>

>> i shopped dell for a low end machine and found their least expensive
>> model which is very comparable system to the $299 one i mentioned from
>> staples...
>> http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dddobh1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>>

>> the dell costs $100 more ($379 + $19 shipping = $398 plus tax) which is
>> not a lot of dollars but it is a huge 33% percentage difference. the
>> dell does have a larger hard disk (750gb vs 500gb) and a slightly better
>> integrated video card, but that is it. certainly not worth the 33%
>> ($100) premium. there is one other difference between these two
>> machine... the compaq you can take home from staples today and the dell
>> you will have to wait for to be build and then shipped (these days that
>> takes dell two weeks or more to do).
>
> Not if you pick a 48-hour model. Not a 48 hour model, but I ordered an
> XPS 9000 on the Web 12/22/09 with 2 day shipping and it was delivered
> 12/31/09, which included Christmas.
>
> Another difference, if you buy an HP/Compaq, you have an HP/Compaq.
> Don't know what this is worth to you, but I'd go for a Dell. To look at
> comparable dollars, can you configure the Paq with a bigger HDD/video card?
>
> How much memory do they have and what version of Win is included?

and xps 9000 with monitor is not going to fit this persons stated budget
of $500. and why do you think hp/compaq is inferior to dell when all
recent surveys now rate hp/cpq a notch above dell, which i tend to agree
with. the only thing dell has going for it is the system service
manuals listed on their support web site which are a tremendous value to
laptop owners once their system is out of warranty as it affords them
the possibility of doing a repair themselves. i don't understand what
dell is doing to sustain its business. there is nothing innovative or
forward thinking about the company right now. they are not at all
diversified or even offering anything remotely interesting. the dell
phone was a total flop (what were they thinking?). they sell commodity
computers of which the most creative thing they have done in the last
five years has been to take a page from sony's play book and offer their
computers with different color front panels. they seem to get 10% of
the cost of the entire system just for the panel. dell has shifted away
from their core business of made to order machines to pre-built machines
via costco, staples, bestbuy, and their own mail order 'fasttrack'
models. built to order machines now require the longest wait times in
their history and for that they actually charge you more (ie a vostro
430 fastrack elite costs $789 and the same configuration as the one
fasttrack model (which only comes preloaded with windows xp, yes xp)
made from the various configurations of their build to order vostro 430
machines cost $75 to $150 more. hp has a lot more to their product line
than just pcs and laptops. sure dell sells printers, but they don't
make them. hp actually makes its own printers and they have a more
depth to their printer offerings as well as respect by business buyers.
i feel kind of sad and sorry for dell, they seem to be going the way
of gm and right now are coming off of years of tremendous success that
lead them to complacency and laziness. they need to do something fast
or i think they may slip away altogether. hp has $120 billion in
revenues and a 7.09% profit margin. dell has $55 billion in revenue and
a meager 2.86% profit margin. it can not survive in its present
condition and so it is no surprise that customer service (viewed as a
cost and not an income center) is suffering at dell.
From: RnR on
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:16:01 -0400, Christopher Muto
<muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Tony Harding wrote:

>>> I'd recommend going to the Dell outlet.
>>> I recently got an Inspiron 560 with 8GB of ram and a 2.93
>>> GHz core 2 duo in your price range. Came with 64 bit win7.
>>
>> A great idea! I've bought most of my Dells from their outlet the past 10
>> years as well as a couple of monitors.
>>

>i never find computer bargains on the outlet. i am sure they come up

They do Chiris but you have to know what you want to buy, be patient
and watch closely. Otherwise I don't think they are much better
priced. Some years ago I saw a bunch a laptops go by in the outlet
and every now and then, they would sell one about $100 below the
rest... almost looked like a typo but it's real and honored at that
price. I can't comment on monitors as I never bought one from there.