From: powrwrap on
Dimension 4600 with nvidia FX5200 video card.

Lately the display on my ten year old CRT monitor is exhibiting
bending of vertical lines towards the center of the screen. Also the
corners of the pages I'm viewing are not visible. I've tried adjusting
the monitor's settings but it doesn't help very much.

If I boot the computer in Safe Mode there is no bowing inward of
vertical lines. This leads me to suspect that the video card is
defective. Is this a correct diagnosis? If not, what other tests could
I perform to determine what is wrong? I suppose I could hook up my LCD
display from another computer to the Dim 4600 and see if it displays
distorted vertical lines.

This video card has already been repaired once--it had the problem
with swollen capacitors. Several years ago I replaced three or four
caps that were leaky and swollen.
From: BillW50 on
In
powrwrap typed on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:01:54 -0700 (PDT):
> Dimension 4600 with nvidia FX5200 video card.
>
> Lately the display on my ten year old CRT monitor is exhibiting
> bending of vertical lines towards the center of the screen. Also the
> corners of the pages I'm viewing are not visible. I've tried adjusting
> the monitor's settings but it doesn't help very much.
>
> If I boot the computer in Safe Mode there is no bowing inward of
> vertical lines. This leads me to suspect that the video card is
> defective. Is this a correct diagnosis? If not, what other tests could
> I perform to determine what is wrong? I suppose I could hook up my LCD
> display from another computer to the Dim 4600 and see if it displays
> distorted vertical lines.
>
> This video card has already been repaired once--it had the problem
> with swollen capacitors. Several years ago I replaced three or four
> caps that were leaky and swollen.

Sounds like it is the CRT monitor to me. As if it looks like I believing
you are saying, I never seen a video card or a LCD screen ever produce a
display like that. And yes, I would throw that other LCD monitor and run
it at the same resolution that you are having the problem with on your
CRT monitor. Just to made sure it is the CRT monitor or not.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3

From: Christopher Muto on
powrwrap wrote:
> Dimension 4600 with nvidia FX5200 video card.
>
> Lately the display on my ten year old CRT monitor is exhibiting
> bending of vertical lines towards the center of the screen. Also the
> corners of the pages I'm viewing are not visible. I've tried adjusting
> the monitor's settings but it doesn't help very much.
>
> If I boot the computer in Safe Mode there is no bowing inward of
> vertical lines. This leads me to suspect that the video card is
> defective. Is this a correct diagnosis? If not, what other tests could
> I perform to determine what is wrong? I suppose I could hook up my LCD
> display from another computer to the Dim 4600 and see if it displays
> distorted vertical lines.
>
> This video card has already been repaired once--it had the problem
> with swollen capacitors. Several years ago I replaced three or four
> caps that were leaky and swollen.

your own comment about hooking up a different monitor to the suspicious
dimension 4600 (and the dimension 4600's monitor to another computer) is
a good one. that will tell you for sure what component is the culprit.
my guess would be the card, but you already got another guess that it
was the monitor... when in safe mode the color depth and resolution is
quite low so it is not completely surprising that it works when in safe
mode. good luck.
From: powrwrap on
I finally got around to hooking up my flat panel to the Dim 4600. Flat
panel looks normal so it is the CRT monitor that is bad. Now I'm in
the market for a used 17" LCD monitor.

Pages: 1
Prev: Latitude D630
Next: Replacement for Dell 8110?