From: JayB on
he could also have a B110

From: James on
I appreciate the responses so far, thanks to all.....

JayB is very observant..... I looked more closely at the model number on
the front of the desktop, and it is a B110. Actually, I had to look
several times to determine if the first number or digit was an 8 or a
B. I have concluded that it is indeed a B.

So, my existing Dell desktop that I wish to replace is a B110. I would
like a package that includes a monitor. I also prefer to stay with a Dell.

Now that I have corrected (or JayB has corrected ! ) my model number,
does that change any of the comments previously given regarding speed, etc ?
Just about any Dell in the $500 price range quite a bit faster than my
B110 ?

Thanks !!

James

From: JayB on
the B110 is worse than the 8100,
so anything will be good.
look at the optiplex 360
the business line,
often on sale at around $500 with 3 yr warranty.
often with a flat panel.

From: Christopher Muto on
Christopher Muto wrote:
> James wrote:
>> I am ready to replace my Dell 8110. My price range is "around"
>> $500.
>> I use the computer for web browsing, email, and some document handling.
>> Don't need fancy graphics, but would like whatever I get to be faster
>> than
>> the 8110. Huge disk space isn't important either.
>>
>> What would you all recommend in this price range, for a basic desktop
>> replacement for my Dell 8110 ??
>>
>> Thanks !!
>>
>> James
>>

> not sure what an 8110 is but am guessing that it is a desktop.
> dell doesn't sell any really inexpensive desktops that are good values.
> they bait you with low prices for machines that really skimp on the
> configuration (miserable slow processor, limited memory, limited disk,
> no recordable drive) and when you upgrade to the desired component you
> are suddendly at a price point beyond what you wanted (and would have
> been better off starting with a better configured system on the dell
> site in the first place).
> also you didn't say if you needed a monitor or not and almost all dells
> come with monitors (it is hard to find systems that can be configured
> without).
> i suggest you have a look at this machine from staples. it is good
> price on a very capable machine.
> http://www.staples.com/Compaq-Presario-CQ5320F-Desktop-PC/product_847570

i shopped dell for a low end machine and found their least expensive
model which is very comparable system to the $299 one i mentioned from
staples...
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dddobh1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
the dell costs $100 more ($379 + $19 shipping = $398 plus tax) which is
not a lot of dollars but it is a huge 33% percentage difference. the
dell does have a larger hard disk (750gb vs 500gb) and a slightly better
integrated video card, but that is it. certainly not worth the 33%
($100) premium. there is one other difference between these two
machine... the compaq you can take home from staples today and the dell
you will have to wait for to be build and then shipped (these days that
takes dell two weeks or more to do).
From: Ben Myers on
On 6/17/2010 9:55 AM, JayB wrote:
> the B110 is worse than the 8100,
> so anything will be good.
> look at the optiplex 360
> the business line,
> often on sale at around $500 with 3 yr warranty.
> often with a flat panel.
>
> James wrote:
>> I appreciate the responses so far, thanks to all.....
>>
>> JayB is very observant..... I looked more closely at the model number on
>> the front of the desktop, and it is a B110. Actually, I had to look
>> several times to determine if the first number or digit was an 8 or a
>> B. I have concluded that it is indeed a B.
>>

>> So, my existing Dell desktop that I wish to replace is a B110. I would
>> like a package that includes a monitor. I also prefer to stay with a
>> Dell.
>>
>> Now that I have corrected (or JayB has corrected ! ) my model number,
>> does that change any of the comments previously given regarding speed,
>> etc ?
>> Just about any Dell in the $500 price range quite a bit faster than my
>> B110 ?
>>
>> Thanks !!
>>
>> James

B110 vs 8100 is an interesting horse race. The B110 is as close to
non-proprietary as Dell ever has gotten and it has a respectable 865
chipset, and either a pretty fast Celery D or even a fast 2.8-or-so GHz
P4. The 8100 has the very first Pentium 4 (Socket 423), somewhere
between 1.3 and 2Ghz, fast and once-expensive RAMBUS memory, and really
funky (a kind word for highly proprietary) power supply and motherboard.

If someone offered me the choice, either to use or fix up and resell, I
would take the B110, hands down.

As with the 8100, most any Dell desktop sold today will perform better
than the B110. If James goes for the 32-bit Windows 7, 3GB of memory
would be best. With the 64-bit Windows 7, how about a minimum of 4GB?
32-bit should be just fine for his needs as he states them... Ben Myers