From: Kirk Bubul on
I have a friend with a Dell Inspiron 6000 that has started to run very
slowly. The OS is XP Professional 2002 SP 3. The Centrino CPU is a
1.39 GhZ/1.70 GhZ. He has 2 GB of RAM. The 52.5 GB hard drive is 37%
full. He has recently defragged the drive and performed a Disk
Cleanup.

Programs are very slow to load, like FireFox and Word.

What steps can he take to speed up his Inspiron?
From: Ben Myers on
Kirk Bubul wrote:
> I have a friend with a Dell Inspiron 6000 that has started to run very
> slowly. The OS is XP Professional 2002 SP 3. The Centrino CPU is a
> 1.39 GhZ/1.70 GhZ. He has 2 GB of RAM. The 52.5 GB hard drive is 37%
> full. He has recently defragged the drive and performed a Disk
> Cleanup.
>
> Programs are very slow to load, like FireFox and Word.
>
> What steps can he take to speed up his Inspiron?

1. How about anti-virus and malware scans?
2. Uninstall all useless software
3. Clean up the Windows registry with CCleaner

.... Ben Myers
From: lgreenwood on
On Dec 21, 2:26 pm, Kirk Bubul <khbu...(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I have a friend with a Dell Inspiron 6000 that has started to run very
> slowly.  The OS is XP Professional 2002 SP 3.  The Centrino CPU is a
> 1.39 GhZ/1.70 GhZ.  He has 2 GB of RAM.  The 52.5 GB hard drive is 37%
> full.  He has recently defragged the drive and performed a Disk
> Cleanup.
>
> Programs are very slow to load, like FireFox and Word.
>
> What steps can he take to speed up his Inspiron?

I have an Inspiron 6000 and had the same problem....I download a free
copy of Smart Defrag and defragged and optimtized the harddrive. That
made a noticeable difference when loading programs like adobe
acrobat. Also follow Ben's three suggestions above....Larry