From: 4poster on
My Display started acting strange and gradually
ended with it appearing on bootup, or if I power cycled
and then would blank out.

I was told it could be the power options in Control Panel,
which permanently set the monitor in power saver mode,
and if I selected "never" for the monitor the PC would reset the monitor
hibernate control.

My power options function is corrupted and there are no schemes in that
panel. System Restore didn't help, so I had a HP Pc where the power option
was functional and I interfaced the monitor to that PC with the power saver
set to "never" for the monitor and that didn't help.

Attempts to get help from Dell were maddening. They run you around in
circles and when they give you a chance to email them, for some reason you
never get the chance.

From: Christopher Muto on
4poster wrote:
> My Display started acting strange and gradually
> ended with it appearing on bootup, or if I power cycled
> and then would blank out.
>
> I was told it could be the power options in Control Panel,
> which permanently set the monitor in power saver mode,
> and if I selected "never" for the monitor the PC would reset the monitor
> hibernate control.
>
> My power options function is corrupted and there are no schemes in that
> panel. System Restore didn't help, so I had a HP Pc where the power option
> was functional and I interfaced the monitor to that PC with the power saver
> set to "never" for the monitor and that didn't help.
>
> Attempts to get help from Dell were maddening. They run you around in
> circles and when they give you a chance to email them, for some reason you
> never get the chance.

it sounds like you are affected by a very common problem that the dell
e152fp/e153fp/e172fp/e173fp(b) all have. a set of transistors fail in
them and that often also takes out a fuse along the way. i would
suggest you confirm that your computer is not the problem by attaching a
known working monitor to your computer. then also try putting your
questionable monitor on a known working computer. once you have
confirmed that the computer is fine and that the monitor is the problem
then you can either repair your monitor or buy a new one. it is very
economical to repair your monitor yourself provide you have the skills.
but it is not economical to have your monitor repaired by a shop - it
would be cheaper to purchase new. a new monitor can be had for as
little as $100 and would be larger than what you currently have.
but if you are handy with a soldering iron and you like a challenge like
this then you can easily get the repair parts that you need from a
number of sellers on ebay. the parts cost only about $5. however the
labor involved is considerable. it take 20-30 minutes to completely
disassemble the monitor and remove the electronics board. then you have
to solder in the new parts, and finally reassemble the monitor. you can
find videos on youtube that show you how to open the monitor if you need
instructions. good luck.
17" lcd monitor for $109 delivered...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009185
craigslist is also a good bet, but i would avoid the models mentioned
above for this very reason.
From: Christopher Muto on
Christopher Muto wrote:
> 4poster wrote:
>> My Display started acting strange and gradually
>> ended with it appearing on bootup, or if I power cycled
>> and then would blank out.
>>
>> I was told it could be the power options in Control Panel,
>> which permanently set the monitor in power saver mode,
>> and if I selected "never" for the monitor the PC would reset the
>> monitor hibernate control.
>>
>> My power options function is corrupted and there are no schemes in
>> that panel. System Restore didn't help, so I had a HP Pc where the
>> power option was functional and I interfaced the monitor to that PC
>> with the power saver set to "never" for the monitor and that didn't help.
>>
>> Attempts to get help from Dell were maddening. They run you around in
>> circles and when they give you a chance to email them, for some reason
>> you never get the chance.
>>

> it sounds like you are affected by a very common problem that the dell
> e152fp/e153fp/e172fp/e173fp(b) all have. a set of transistors fail in
> them and that often also takes out a fuse along the way. i would
> suggest you confirm that your computer is not the problem by attaching a
> known working monitor to your computer. then also try putting your
> questionable monitor on a known working computer. once you have
> confirmed that the computer is fine and that the monitor is the problem
> then you can either repair your monitor or buy a new one. it is very
> economical to repair your monitor yourself provide you have the skills.
> but it is not economical to have your monitor repaired by a shop - it
> would be cheaper to purchase new. a new monitor can be had for as
> little as $100 and would be larger than what you currently have.
> but if you are handy with a soldering iron and you like a challenge like
> this then you can easily get the repair parts that you need from a
> number of sellers on ebay. the parts cost only about $5. however the
> labor involved is considerable. it take 20-30 minutes to completely
> disassemble the monitor and remove the electronics board. then you have
> to solder in the new parts, and finally reassemble the monitor. you can
> find videos on youtube that show you how to open the monitor if you need
> instructions. good luck.
> 17" lcd monitor for $109 delivered...
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009185
> craigslist is also a good bet, but i would avoid the models mentioned
> above for this very reason.

ps. if you are ok with buying refurbished stuff, overstock.com has some
hewlett packard 17" monitors starting at $79.99 with free shipping.
From: 4poster on
"Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> 4poster wrote:
>> My Display started acting strange and gradually
>> ended with it appearing on bootup, or if I power cycled
>> and then would blank out.
>>
>> I was told it could be the power options in Control Panel,
>> which permanently set the monitor in power saver mode,
>> and if I selected "never" for the monitor the PC would reset the monitor
>> hibernate control.
>>
>> My power options function is corrupted and there are no schemes in that
>> panel. System Restore didn't help, so I had a HP Pc where the power
>> option was functional and I interfaced the monitor to that PC with the
>> power saver set to "never" for the monitor and that didn't help.
>>
>> Attempts to get help from Dell were maddening. They run you around in
>> circles and when they give you a chance to email them, for some reason
>> you never get the chance.
>
> it sounds like you are affected by a very common problem that the dell
> e152fp/e153fp/e172fp/e173fp(b) all have. a set of transistors fail in
> them and that often also takes out a fuse along the way. i would suggest
> you confirm that your computer is not the problem by attaching a known
> working monitor to your computer. then also try putting your questionable
> monitor on a known working computer. once you have confirmed that the
> computer is fine and that the monitor is the problem then you can either
> repair your monitor or buy a new one. it is very economical to repair
> your monitor yourself provide you have the skills. but it is not
> economical to have your monitor repaired by a shop - it would be cheaper
> to purchase new. a new monitor can be had for as little as $100 and would
> be larger than what you currently have.
> but if you are handy with a soldering iron and you like a challenge like
> this then you can easily get the repair parts that you need from a number
> of sellers on ebay. the parts cost only about $5. however the labor
> involved is considerable. it take 20-30 minutes to completely disassemble
> the monitor and remove the electronics board. then you have to solder in
> the new parts, and finally reassemble the monitor. you can find videos on
> youtube that show you how to open the monitor if you need instructions.
> good luck.
> 17" lcd monitor for $109 delivered...
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009185
> craigslist is also a good bet, but i would avoid the models mentioned
> above for this very reason.

Thanks Christopher,

I have a new 18" Acer attached to my PC and it's fine.
I also hooked up the Dell monitor to a good working HP PC,
so I pretty well narrowed it down to the display. BTW, the Acer was only $85
at Staples, with an extended warranty for $5, but I can change xistors or
even chips, as I have been a tech for forty years, so that's not an issue,
but I do like to locate service literature if possible.

I saw another post about restoring the OEM operating system by accessing the
boot menu, but when I tried there wan no option available. Any help on that?

From: Christopher Muto on
4poster wrote:
> [...]
>> good luck.
>> 17" lcd monitor for $109 delivered...
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009185
>> craigslist is also a good bet, but i would avoid the models mentioned
>> above for this very reason.
>
> Thanks Christopher,
>
> I have a new 18" Acer attached to my PC and it's fine.
> I also hooked up the Dell monitor to a good working HP PC,
> so I pretty well narrowed it down to the display. BTW, the Acer was only $85
> at Staples, with an extended warranty for $5, but I can change xistors or
> even chips, as I have been a tech for forty years, so that's not an issue,
> but I do like to locate service literature if possible.
>
> I saw another post about restoring the OEM operating system by accessing the
> boot menu, but when I tried there wan no option available. Any help on that?

if you can't gain access to the dell recovery partition then it is
probably not there. it is very common for optiplex to come with a
software image as provided by the buyer, particulary in large
corporations or educational settings. these builds do not usually have
a recovery partition from the start. on other machines the partition is
lost if the machine has the software reloaded from scratch or in the
event of hard drive failure when it is replaced with a blank drive that
is then rebuilt from scratch (the most common issue).

i don't have a schematic of the dell monitors. in fact i have never
seen them. but if you take a look at ebay item number 220488756040 and
you will not only see the parts you need but also where they are on the
circuit board...
2SC5707 Transistors (quantity of 4)
FU9024N Transistors (quanity of 2)
BEL 125V 3 Amp MS Fuse (quanity of 1)
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/weefa/BENQ-INVERTER.png
when you open it also check the capacitors for buldging. i don't think
the e153fb had the capacitor problem but it is worth checking them once
you are in there. the dell ultrasharps have issues with the capacitors.