From: charliech on
My system now takes 5-6 minutes to boot-up. The only thing I can
think of is I'm running NAV 2010. What setting(s) in Nav2010 might be
causing the system to be so slow at boot-up - I checked the Settings,
looking for something that might say "scan at startup" but did not see
anything.

Are there other things I can look at to determine why the boot-up is
so slow?

I have a Dell Dim 8300, 4GB memory, WinXP SP3 and plenty of disk
space.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Charliec
From: Daddy on
On 12/22/2009 2:49 PM, charliech(a)email.com wrote:
> My system now takes 5-6 minutes to boot-up. The only thing I can
> think of is I'm running NAV 2010. What setting(s) in Nav2010 might be
> causing the system to be so slow at boot-up - I checked the Settings,
> looking for something that might say "scan at startup" but did not see
> anything.
>
> Are there other things I can look at to determine why the boot-up is
> so slow?
>
> I have a Dell Dim 8300, 4GB memory, WinXP SP3 and plenty of disk
> space.
>
> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
>
> Charliec

My Dimension 4500 is of the same vintage as your PC, I also run NIS
2010, but I only have 1GB of RAM, and my computer boots to a usable
desktop in 2 minutes.

The two most common reasons for slow booting are:

1- malware
2- too much stuff starting with Windows.

Daddy
From: charliech on
>On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:10:32 -0500, Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 12/22/2009 2:49 PM, charliech(a)email.com wrote:
>> My system now takes 5-6 minutes to boot-up. The only thing I can
>> think of is I'm running NAV 2010. What setting(s) in Nav2010 might be
>> causing the system to be so slow at boot-up - I checked the Settings,
>> looking for something that might say "scan at startup" but did not see
>> anything.
>>
>> Are there other things I can look at to determine why the boot-up is
>> so slow?
>>
>> I have a Dell Dim 8300, 4GB memory, WinXP SP3 and plenty of disk
>> space.
>>
>> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
>>
>> Charliec
>
>My Dimension 4500 is of the same vintage as your PC, I also run NIS
>2010, but I only have 1GB of RAM, and my computer boots to a usable
>desktop in 2 minutes.
>
>The two most common reasons for slow booting are:
>
>1- malware
>2- too much stuff starting with Windows.
>
>Daddy

Question, do you have "Early Load" turned on in NIS/NAV?
From: Daddy on
Ben Myers wrote:
> Daddy wrote:

>>> In addition to malware and too many programs being loaded at startup,
>>> there could simply be lots of junk files accumulated in the %temp%
>>> folder. (Today, I encountered a Dell E310 with over 5000 files in the
>>> %temp% folder, most all left behind by the crapware that HP installs for
>>> its P1015 low-end newer laser printer. You bet the system booted slow
>>> and ran slow.)
>>>
>>> So... Download and run Hijackthis to get a clear picture of all the
>>> programs loaded at startup.
>>>
>>> Then... Download and run CCleaner to clean out the useless files. Also,
>>> you can manually remove the useless stuff from %temp% without harm to
>>> yourself or the system.
>>>
>>> Next... Defrag with Defraggler, from the same people who did CCleaner.
>>> It tells you more about the fragmented files in a system and does a
>>> better job than Microsoft's defrag.
>>>
>>> Finally... Defrag the registry with PageDefrag, assuming you are running
>>> XP or earlier.
>>>
>>> And now really finally... NAV is an extremely complicated package... Ben
>>> Myers
>>
>> I don't get it...How does the number of files in the Temp folder
>> affect boot time? Are the files in the Temp folder read during bootup?
>>
>> Daddy
>
> Windows programs use %temp%. If a Windows program uses %temp% for
> whatever temporary files it needs, the Windows file system has to go
> through all the entries for the sludge to find a slot in the folder's
> directory for the next file. The folder's directory can span many
> sectors if there are 5000 files, for example. And, of course, the
> folder's directory can be fragmented.
>
> Lot's of Windows programs use %temp%. The HP P2015 crapola software
> does and it stuffs files into %temp% at will. I have not figured out
> when and why it does so.
>
> It would make sense to put a command file in your startup, something like:
>
> cd %temp%
> del *.*
>
> to do some regular cleanup.
>
> Now, of course, a regular cleanup will not work if someone habitually or
> unknowingly stores important files in %temp%. Yep, I've seen this, too.
>
> ... Ben Myers

Windows and applications read the %temp% during bootup /only/ if they
are performing a 'runonce' function, like after an install, inwhich case
they reference only the specific files they require. Aside from that,
you could have a million files in %temp% and it won't add a second to
the boot time.

Now about that %temp% folder...it doesn't slow a computer. That's
another bit of computing lore that persists even though it's no longer
correct. Here's how a 'bloated' %temp% can cause trouble:

Many of the files that get stored in the Temp folders are generic, like
log files, and have generic names. Two applications might use a generic
file with the same name, so Program A might overwrite Program B's files.
Now, when Program B looks in the %temp% for its files it reads the wrong
ones.

That's why the advice to clean out the %temp% is sometimes given when
programs suddenly act weird, or when they don't install or uninstall
properly. Aside from that, there's no need to clean out your temp
folders on a regular basis. You might want to clear your %temp% folders
regardless, if they've grown to the point where it's taking longer to
backup your system drive. They'd gave to be hideously large - like 1GB
or more - to make that worthwhile.

Beyond that, it always amuses me to see people get all bent out of shape
just because a Temp folder gets 'bloated.' I think it goes back to
childhood, when our mothers were always after us to clean up our rooms.
If a messy room is bad, maybe a messy Temp folder is also bad?

Daddy
From: Ben Myers on
charliech(a)email.com wrote:
> My system now takes 5-6 minutes to boot-up. The only thing I can
> think of is I'm running NAV 2010. What setting(s) in Nav2010 might be
> causing the system to be so slow at boot-up - I checked the Settings,
> looking for something that might say "scan at startup" but did not see
> anything.
>
> Are there other things I can look at to determine why the boot-up is
> so slow?
>
> I have a Dell Dim 8300, 4GB memory, WinXP SP3 and plenty of disk
> space.
>
> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
>
> Charliec

In addition to malware and too many programs being loaded at startup,
there could simply be lots of junk files accumulated in the %temp%
folder. (Today, I encountered a Dell E310 with over 5000 files in the
%temp% folder, most all left behind by the crapware that HP installs for
its P1015 low-end newer laser printer. You bet the system booted slow
and ran slow.)

So... Download and run Hijackthis to get a clear picture of all the
programs loaded at startup.

Then... Download and run CCleaner to clean out the useless files. Also,
you can manually remove the useless stuff from %temp% without harm to
yourself or the system.

Next... Defrag with Defraggler, from the same people who did CCleaner.
It tells you more about the fragmented files in a system and does a
better job than Microsoft's defrag.

Finally... Defrag the registry with PageDefrag, assuming you are running
XP or earlier.

And now really finally... NAV is an extremely complicated package... Ben
Myers
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Optiplex 170L/E153FPc Monitor