From: charliech on
>On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:22:15 -0600, Charles <cwmickey(a)xoc.net> wrote:

>WSZsr wrote:
>> Run msconfig and disable the startup items to see if it boots faster
>>
>> <charliech(a)email.com> wrote in message
>>> My system now takes 5-6 minutes to boot-up. The only thing I can
>>> think of is I'm running NAV 2010. What setting(s) in Nav2010 might be
>>> causing the system to be so slow at boot-up - I checked the Settings,
>>> looking for something that might say "scan at startup" but did not see
>>> anything.
>>>
>>> Are there other things I can look at to determine why the boot-up is
>>> so slow?
>>>
>>> I have a Dell Dim 8300, 4GB memory, WinXP SP3 and plenty of disk
>>> space.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
>>>
>>> Charliec
>>
>Any chance it is running in PIO mode and not DMA if it pertains to this
>system? My son was having similar problems earlier this year until I
>had him check it.
>Charles

What are these modes (PIO & DMA) and how do you check them?
Charliec
From: Ben Myers on
charliech(a)email.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:22:15 -0600, Charles <cwmickey(a)xoc.net> wrote:
>
>> WSZsr wrote:
>>> Run msconfig and disable the startup items to see if it boots faster
>>>
>>> <charliech(a)email.com> wrote in message

>> Any chance it is running in PIO mode and not DMA if it pertains to this
>> system? My son was having similar problems earlier this year until I
>> had him check it.
>> Charles
>
> What are these modes (PIO & DMA) and how do you check them?
> Charliec

PIO and DMA modes are the original slow and the newer fast way of
reading and writing hard disks. I can't recall if the 8300 BIOS has
discrete settings for PIO or DMA access on a per disk or system-wide
basis. The other place to check is Device Manager under the System icon
in Control Panel... Ben Myers
From: charliech on
>On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:02:05 -0500, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote:
>>> Any chance it is running in PIO mode and not DMA if it pertains to this
>>> system? My son was having similar problems earlier this year until I
>>> had him check it.
>>> Charles
>>
>> What are these modes (PIO & DMA) and how do you check them?
>> Charliec
>
>PIO and DMA modes are the original slow and the newer fast way of
>reading and writing hard disks. I can't recall if the 8300 BIOS has
>discrete settings for PIO or DMA access on a per disk or system-wide
>basis. The other place to check is Device Manager under the System icon
>in Control Panel... Ben Myers

I checked in Device Manager for the harddrive and did not see any
reference to PIO or DMA on any of the tabs under properties? What am
I amissing?
charliec
From: Ben Myers on
charliech(a)email.com wrote:
>>> What are these modes (PIO & DMA) and how do you check them?
>>> Charliec
>> PIO and DMA modes are the original slow and the newer fast way of
>> reading and writing hard disks. I can't recall if the 8300 BIOS has
>> discrete settings for PIO or DMA access on a per disk or system-wide
>> basis. The other place to check is Device Manager under the System icon
>> in Control Panel... Ben Myers
>
> I checked in Device Manager for the harddrive and did not see any
> reference to PIO or DMA on any of the tabs under properties? What am
> I amissing?
> charliec

Some controllers and drives have this setting, some do not. The
Dimension 8300 is new enough that all of its disk I/O would be DMA. If
you have a SATA drive, they are all DMA.

Now look in the Dell BIOS, for completeness... Ben Myers
From: Daddy on
charliech(a)email.com wrote:
>>> What are these modes (PIO & DMA) and how do you check them?
>>> Charliec
>> PIO and DMA modes are the original slow and the newer fast way of
>> reading and writing hard disks. I can't recall if the 8300 BIOS has
>> discrete settings for PIO or DMA access on a per disk or system-wide
>> basis. The other place to check is Device Manager under the System icon
>> in Control Panel... Ben Myers
>
> I checked in Device Manager for the harddrive and did not see any
> reference to PIO or DMA on any of the tabs under properties? What am
> I amissing?
> charliec

Do you now or did you at any time have the Intel Application Accelerator
installed? IIA performs many HDD configuration tasks, and it will hide
the Advanced Settings tab.

Daddy

Daddy
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last