From: Daave on
charliech(a)email.com wrote:
> My system now takes 5-6 minutes to boot-up. The only thing I can
> think of is I'm running NAV 2010.

I'm sure that's what it is.

> What setting(s) in Nav2010 might be
> causing the system to be so slow at boot-up - I checked the Settings,
> looking for something that might say "scan at startup" but did not see
> anything.

It may be scanning. At the very least, it's updating. Norton has a
reputation for hogging resources. Supposedly, it's not as bad as it once
was. But I would never let it touch my PC.

I am sure if you were to uninstall it and use alternative methods to
keep your PC secure, you would not experience long bootup times.

Out of curiosity, once the bootup is complete and things "settle," how
is your performance?

> Are there other things I can look at to determine why the boot-up is
> so slow?

You can configure a Clean Boot and systematically re-enable programs and
processes:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

From: charliech on
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 20:33:20 -0500, Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>charliech(a)email.com wrote:
>>> PIO and DMA modes are the original slow and the newer fast way of
>>> reading and writing hard disks. I can't recall if the 8300 BIOS has
>>> discrete settings for PIO or DMA access on a per disk or system-wide
>>> basis. The other place to check is Device Manager under the System icon
>>> in Control Panel... Ben Myers
>>
>> I checked in Device Manager for the harddrive and did not see any
>> reference to PIO or DMA on any of the tabs under properties? What am
>> I amissing?
>> charliec
>
>Do you now or did you at any time have the Intel Application Accelerator
>installed? IIA performs many HDD configuration tasks, and it will hide
>the Advanced Settings tab.
>
>Daddy
>
>Daddy

Not that I am aware of - do not know what it is!
charliec
From: Daddy on
Daave wrote:
> charliech(a)email.com wrote:
>> My system now takes 5-6 minutes to boot-up. The only thing I can
>> think of is I'm running NAV 2010.
>
> I'm sure that's what it is.
>
>> What setting(s) in Nav2010 might be
>> causing the system to be so slow at boot-up - I checked the Settings,
>> looking for something that might say "scan at startup" but did not see
>> anything.
>
> It may be scanning. At the very least, it's updating. Norton has a
> reputation for hogging resources. Supposedly, it's not as bad as it once
> was. But I would never let it touch my PC.
>
> I am sure if you were to uninstall it and use alternative methods to
> keep your PC secure, you would not experience long bootup times.
>
> Out of curiosity, once the bootup is complete and things "settle," how
> is your performance?
>
>> Are there other things I can look at to determine why the boot-up is
>> so slow?
>
> You can configure a Clean Boot and systematically re-enable programs and
> processes:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
>
>> I have a Dell Dim 8300, 4GB memory, WinXP SP3 and plenty of disk
>> space.
>>
>> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
>>
>> Charliec

Not to be a troublemaker, but I did mention in my initial post that my
Dell desktop is from the same era as the OP's desktop, that I also had
NIS 2010, and that my PC boots to a working desktop in two minutes.

Daddy
From: Daddy on
charliech(a)email.com wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 20:33:20 -0500, Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:

>>> I checked in Device Manager for the harddrive and did not see any
>>> reference to PIO or DMA on any of the tabs under properties? What am
>>> I amissing?
>>> charliec
>> Do you now or did you at any time have the Intel Application Accelerator
>> installed? IIA performs many HDD configuration tasks, and it will hide
>> the Advanced Settings tab.
>>
>> Daddy
>>
>> Daddy
>
> Not that I am aware of - do not know what it is!
> charliec

Go to Add/Remove Programs...do you see the Intel Application Accelerator
listed? Uninstall it and restart your computer.

If you don't see it in Add/Remove Programs: Do you have the file
IdeBusDr.sys on your system? (Search for it; it's a hidden file.) If so,
you had the IAA at one time, and this file was left behind by the
installer. This actually happened to me. If so, download the IAA,
reinstall it, re-boot, uninstall it, reboot and voila! The Advanced
Settings tab re-appears.

Daddy
From: Nick on

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:45:43 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Daddy
<daddy(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Not to be a troublemaker, but I did mention in my initial post that my
>Dell desktop is from the same era as the OP's desktop, that I also had
>NIS 2010, and that my PC boots to a working desktop in two minutes.

I'm also using NIS 2010, and my bootups are nice and fast.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl(a)pobox.com>
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last