From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Is there a significant difference between NAV 2010 and NIS 2010?

NAV 2010 is only the anti-virus component, although I think it has some
"Internet Security" features provided with it.

In any case, Symantec has seemingly been getting their act together. I've
got a Dimension 4100 on my bench now that is running NAV 2010 on WinXP Home
with an inadequate amount of installed RAM (384MB!). The system's owners
have been nothing less than happy with their good old Dim4100 and NAV 2010
doesn't really seem to be bothering it. (I was floored by this, to be quite
honest.) I'm pretty sure they intend to run it until it dies, although they
are thinking of laptops.

It's been five years since I last worked on it, so I guess that says
something as well. :-)

William

From: charliech on
>On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 01:28:55 -0600, "William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1(a)idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>> The Dimension 8300 is new enough that all of its disk I/O would be DMA.
>
>That's not quite true. DMA mode will be used only if the operating system
>running the show is aware of or can handle it. Otherwise PIO/Fast PIO mode
>will be used.
>
>The place to find what mode is currently in use (on Win2000/XP) is under the
>disk controller category in Device Manager. Look at both the "primary" and
>"secondary" disk controller entries. The mode currently in use for each
>device is shown. The Dell BIOS on the Dim8300 cannot tell you, and doesn't
>really care. It's up to other software to determine the best transfer mode
>that may be used.

William,
I looked in Device Manager on my Dim 8300, but could not determine the
"disk controller" - which item is it in Device Manager?
Thanks
charliec

From: charliech on
>On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 01:28:55 -0600, "William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1(a)idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>> The Dimension 8300 is new enough that all of its disk I/O would be DMA.
>
>That's not quite true. DMA mode will be used only if the operating system
>running the show is aware of or can handle it. Otherwise PIO/Fast PIO mode
>will be used.
>
>The place to find what mode is currently in use (on Win2000/XP) is under the
>disk controller category in Device Manager. Look at both the "primary" and
>"secondary" disk controller entries. The mode currently in use for each
>device is shown. The Dell BIOS on the Dim8300 cannot tell you, and doesn't
>really care. It's up to other software to determine the best transfer mode
>that may be used.

William - disregard my previous message. I found it and it says "Use
DMA, if available" for both "primary" and "secondary".

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> William - disregard my previous message.  I found it and it says
> "Use DMA, if available" for both "primary" and "secondary".

You are using DMA and that is preferable. When Windows says "if
available" that means the system is keeping an eye on it. (There is no
"force DMA" setting in a stock copy of Windows. Maybe not in a
modified one either...)

Windows and the disk controller driver will continue to use DMA mode
unless a large enough number of errors occur--which should not happen
unless there is a cabling problem, faulty hardware or some similar
issue.

William
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6