From: Christopher Muto on
Christopher Muto wrote:
> [...]
>>> the problem then you can either repair your monitor or buy a new
>>> one. it is very economical to repair your monitor yourself provide
>>> you have the skills. but it is not economical to have your monitor
>>> repaired by a shop - it would be cheaper to purchase new. a new
>>> monitor can be had for as little as $100 and would be larger than
>>> what you currently have.
>>> but if you are handy with a soldering iron and you like a challenge
>>> like this then you can easily get the repair parts that you need from
>>> a number of sellers on ebay. the parts cost only about $5. however
>>> the labor involved is considerable. it take 20-30 minutes to
>>> completely disassemble the monitor and remove the electronics board.
>>> then you have to solder in the new parts, and finally reassemble the
>>> monitor. you can find videos on youtube that show you how to open
>>> the monitor if you need instructions. good luck.
>>> 17" lcd monitor for $109 delivered...
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009185
>>> craigslist is also a good bet, but i would avoid the models mentioned
>>> above for this very reason.
>>
>> Thanks Christopher,
>>
>> I have a new 18" Acer attached to my PC and it's fine.
>> I also hooked up the Dell monitor to a good working HP PC,
>> so I pretty well narrowed it down to the display. BTW, the Acer was
>> only $85 at Staples, with an extended warranty for $5, but I can
>> change xistors or even chips, as I have been a tech for forty years,
>> so that's not an issue, but I do like to locate service literature if
>> possible.
>>
>> I saw another post about restoring the OEM operating system by
>> accessing the boot menu, but when I tried there wan no option
>> available. Any help on that?
>>

> if you can't gain access to the dell recovery partition then it is
> probably not there. it is very common for optiplex to come with a
> software image as provided by the buyer, particulary in large
> corporations or educational settings. these builds do not usually have
> a recovery partition from the start. on other machines the partition is
> lost if the machine has the software reloaded from scratch or in the
> event of hard drive failure when it is replaced with a blank drive that
> is then rebuilt from scratch (the most common issue).
>
> i don't have a schematic of the dell monitors. in fact i have never
> seen them. but if you take a look at ebay item number 220488756040 and
> you will not only see the parts you need but also where they are on the
> circuit board...
> 2SC5707 Transistors (quantity of 4)
> FU9024N Transistors (quanity of 2)
> BEL 125V 3 Amp MS Fuse (quanity of 1)
> http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/weefa/BENQ-INVERTER.png
> when you open it also check the capacitors for buldging. i don't think
> the e153fb had the capacitor problem but it is worth checking them once
> you are in there. the dell ultrasharps have issues with the capacitors.

ps this video show how to disassemble a dell w172fp... essentially the
same method for the e153fp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdd4dD8UQAw

From: 4poster on

> Christopher Muto wrote:
>> 4poster wrote:
>>> "Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>>> Thanks Christopher,
>>>
>>> I have a new 18" Acer attached to my PC and it's fine.
>>> I also hooked up the Dell monitor to a good working HP PC,
>>> so I pretty well narrowed it down to the display. BTW, the Acer was only
>>> $85 at Staples, with an extended warranty for $5, but I can change
>>> xistors or even chips, as I have been a tech for forty years, so that's
>>> not an issue, but I do like to locate service literature if possible.
>>>
>>> I saw another post about restoring the OEM operating system by accessing
>>> the boot menu, but when I tried there wan no option available. Any help
>>> on that?
>>>

>> if you can't gain access to the dell recovery partition then it is
>> probably not there. it is very common for optiplex to come with a
>> software image as provided by the buyer, particulary in large
>> corporations or educational settings. these builds do not usually have a
>> recovery partition from the start. on other machines the partition is
>> lost if the machine has the software reloaded from scratch or in the
>> event of hard drive failure when it is replaced with a blank drive that
>> is then rebuilt from scratch (the most common issue).
>>
>> i don't have a schematic of the dell monitors. in fact i have never seen
>> them. but if you take a look at ebay item number 220488756040 and you
>> will not only see the parts you need but also where they are on the
>> circuit board...
>> 2SC5707 Transistors (quantity of 4)
>> FU9024N Transistors (quanity of 2)
>> BEL 125V 3 Amp MS Fuse (quanity of 1)
>> http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/weefa/BENQ-INVERTER.png
>> when you open it also check the capacitors for buldging. i don't think
>> the e153fb had the capacitor problem but it is worth checking them once
>> you are in there. the dell ultrasharps have issues with the capacitors.
>>

> ps this video show how to disassemble a dell w172fp... essentially the
> same method for the e153fp
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdd4dD8UQAw

Latest development:It seems the SP3 update causes a loss of content in the
power options and the registry must be repaired (hotkey). I performed the
procedure and restored that function. Thanks again for all your advice,
Christopher.

From: pedro on
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 23:11:04 -0500, Christopher Muto
> [...]

>lost if the machine has the software reloaded from scratch or in the
>event of hard drive failure when it is replaced with a blank drive that
>is then rebuilt from scratch (the most common issue).
>
>i don't have a schematic of the dell monitors. in fact i have never
>seen them. but if you take a look at ebay item number 220488756040 and
>you will not only see the parts you need but also where they are on the
>circuit board...
>2SC5707 Transistors (quantity of 4)
>FU9024N Transistors (quanity of 2)
>BEL 125V 3 Amp MS Fuse (quanity of 1)
>http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/weefa/BENQ-INVERTER.png
>when you open it also check the capacitors for buldging. i don't think
>the e153fb had the capacitor problem but it is worth checking them once
>you are in there. the dell ultrasharps have issues with the capacitors.

I repair LCD monitors.

<tutorial mode>

Broadly there are two classes of failures, each with characteristic
symptoms.

Primarypower supply - no picture at all, often the power on lamp will
flash at ~ once/sec, with sometimes an audible click. This is the
SMPS shutting down and attempting to restart repeatedly. Cause -
failed electrolytic caps in the switcher. Inspection will show
bulging/vented and/or leaking caps. If no signs of electrolyte
leakage, replace all the larger electrolytics (usually four or five
330/470/1000uF) with 105C low-ESR types of a known good brand.

Backlight inverter - on powerup an image may appear briefly then
disappear, but visible if the screen is externally illuminated (eg
with a flashlight). Usual cause is failure of at least one of the
pair of bipolar transistors driving one of the two CFL backlights.
Typically this causes failure of the series pass FET used for
brightness control, and often takes out a fuse which protects the
inverter system after the main PSU section.

The symptoms reported certainly match this. The 2SC5707 is actually a
fairly high-spec device, and substitution is NOT recommended. That
kit (with which I have no connection) contains all the parts you would
generally need for repairing an inverter failure on a monitor which
uses those parts - not all manufacturers do of course, so I would
suggest the O/P open the monitor and check before ordering.

</tutorial mode>
From: Christopher Muto on
4poster wrote:
> "Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> Christopher Muto wrote:

>>> if you can't gain access to the dell recovery partition then it is
>>> probably not there. it is very common for optiplex to come with a
>>> software image as provided by the buyer, particulary in large
>>> corporations or educational settings. these builds do not usually have a
>>> recovery partition from the start. on other machines the partition is
>>> lost if the machine has the software reloaded from scratch or in the
>>> event of hard drive failure when it is replaced with a blank drive that
>>> is then rebuilt from scratch (the most common issue).
>>>
>>> i don't have a schematic of the dell monitors. in fact i have never seen
>>> them. but if you take a look at ebay item number 220488756040 and you
>>> will not only see the parts you need but also where they are on the
>>> circuit board...
>>> 2SC5707 Transistors (quantity of 4)
>>> FU9024N Transistors (quanity of 2)
>>> BEL 125V 3 Amp MS Fuse (quanity of 1)
>>> http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/weefa/BENQ-INVERTER.png
>>> when you open it also check the capacitors for buldging. i don't think
>>> the e153fb had the capacitor problem but it is worth checking them once
>>> you are in there. the dell ultrasharps have issues with the capacitors.
>>>
>> ps this video show how to disassemble a dell w172fp... essentially the
>> same method for the e153fp
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdd4dD8UQAw
>>
> Latest development:It seems the SP3 update causes a loss of content in the
> power options and the registry must be repaired (hotkey). I performed the
> procedure and restored that function. Thanks again for all your advice,
> Christopher.

are you saying that this made the monitor work again?!?
From: 4poster on

> 4poster wrote:
>> "Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>>> ps this video show how to disassemble a dell w172fp... essentially the
>>> same method for the e153fp
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdd4dD8UQAw
>>>
>> Latest development:It seems the SP3 update causes a loss of content in
>> the power options and the registry must be repaired (hotkey). I performed
>> the procedure and restored that function. Thanks again for all your
>> advice, Christopher.
>
> are you saying that this made the monitor work again?!?

No, but I can troubleshoot it because I have much experience in this area. I
was concerned about, not only the Power Saver function, but also the fact
that WIN XP kept showing up in my recycle bin and so far it seems to have
cleared up. If I repair the display it'll either be a spare or I may give it
to someone in need.