From: paulmd on

Ron Hardin wrote:
> Spam Trapper
> wrote:>http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R143459&SystemID=INSPIRONI6400/E1505&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=10430&devlib=0&t
> > >Latest is a12.
> > >
> > >Click the "other versions" link, to browse older revisions.
> > >
> > >BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061,
> > >A11
> > >1. Thermal control enhancement.
> > >

> > >BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061,
> > >A08
> > >
> > >Enhancements
> > >6. Update thermal control.
> > >

> > >BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061,
> > >A07
> > >

> > >Enhancements
> > >------------
> > >1. Improve system performance.
>
> Mine are both A10. What's involved in upgrading the BIOS? It sounds like something
> that will leave you dead in the water if it doens't work ; the thread at Dell Formus
> said it didn't help the problem, and furthermore the machine didn't work with the
> new BIOS, which is not reassuring, so they had to upgrade back.

The 'leave you dead in the water' events are VERY rare. Besides, the
Dell Phone tech suggested it TOO :). Downgrading the BIOS is easy
enough, but having to downgrade is very rare.

The one Dead in the water event on this forum i recall seeing, Dell
replaced the motherboard under warranty.

Anyway, the procedure is simple enough
*Go to support.dell.com
*enter your service tag or model number
*Select your Operating system
*click the link that says "flashBios updates"
*Download and run the program
*follow the prompts, and don't reset or power down your systems while
the upgrade is happening. In fact, if you're the nervous type, just
walk away for five or ten minutes. (it averages about 1 minute)

*You might have to reset the time and date, but I've not had to do this
on any recent Dell.

The alternate theory on your systems is that you either have a whole
lot of dead temperature sensors, or there's a short somewhere, or SOME
bad component. IN which case, get the board replaced under warranty.
Don't put up with it.

From: Spam Trapper on
I agree with paulmd. I have upgraded the BIOS on several of my home
PCs and never had a problem. Not to say that it is impossible to
"brick" your PC but it is very unlikely. Especially since it is a
laptop and you can both plug it in and have a battery built-in in case
the power should go out during the flash.

From: Dan on
It's interesting that you said this, I've had bad thermal sensors on
some brand-new out-of-the-box Dimension E520's. Dell sends everything
but the motherboard. Maybe Dell got a bad batch of thermal sensors?

So some reported a temp of 0 and other 255? sounds like a definite
8-bit failure somewhere ;)

Dan

From: Ron Hardin on
Dan wrote:

> It's interesting that you said this, I've had bad thermal sensors on
> some brand-new out-of-the-box Dimension E520's. Dell sends everything
> but the motherboard. Maybe Dell got a bad batch of thermal sensors?

The Dell forums thread had somebody with the problem whose I6400 had
been working all summer and ``suddenly'' started getting this, so
maybe it's more than recent, and more a matter of whether your machine
gets cold.

--
Ron Hardin
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com