From: Ron Hardin on
Ok, in the slow-boot Inspiron saga, I put both of my I6400's, one
a month old, one two weeks, in an unheated bedroom (48 F) for an
hour and ran the diagnostic CD custom test on the thermal sensors.

CPU Thermistor - Sensor range Test
Test Results: Fail
Error Code 3900:0626
Msg: Temperature sensor out of range temp=0C min=10C max=100C

ditto for
Other Thermistor
Video Thermistor
SODIMM Thermistor

except these three reported temp=255C

which probably accounts for the fan on.

The theory is that the CPU and/or memory and/or cache gets throttled
and the whole thing runs extremely slowly, and that's why you don't
get a desktop for ten minutes.

Since 2 recent 6400's both failed, I'd assume that they all do.

A software fix would seem to be easy. Don't believe 255C at bootup.

--
Ron Hardin
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com

From: S.Lewis on

"Ron Hardin" <rhhardin(a)mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Ok, in the slow-boot Inspiron saga, I put both of my I6400's, one
> a month old, one two weeks, in an unheated bedroom (48 F) for an
> hour and ran the diagnostic CD custom test on the thermal sensors.
>
> CPU Thermistor - Sensor range Test
> Test Results: Fail
> Error Code 3900:0626
> Msg: Temperature sensor out of range temp=0C min=10C max=100C
>
> ditto for
> Other Thermistor
> Video Thermistor
> SODIMM Thermistor
>
> except these three reported temp=255C
>
> which probably accounts for the fan on.
>
> The theory is that the CPU and/or memory and/or cache gets throttled
> and the whole thing runs extremely slowly, and that's why you don't
> get a desktop for ten minutes.
>
> Since 2 recent 6400's both failed, I'd assume that they all do.
>
> A software fix would seem to be easy. Don't believe 255C at bootup.
>
> --
> Ron Hardin
> rhhardin(a)mindspring.com
>
> On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

Since you recently purchased both and both apparently failed (Dell)
installed diagnostics, you'd be calling Dell to get the problem repaired by
explaining what you've done and providing this exact fail code to the tech
on the phone/chat/or e-mail.

In my experience, giving them that specific fail code is enough to avoid any
scripted questions and expedite onsite hardware replacement or a mail in
service call.

Good luck.

Stew

From: Ron Hardin on
S.Lewis wrote:

> "Ron Hardin" <rhhardin(a)mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > Ok, in the slow-boot Inspiron saga, I put both of my I6400's, one
> > a month old, one two weeks, in an unheated bedroom (48 F) for an
> > hour and ran the diagnostic CD custom test on the thermal sensors.
> >
> > CPU Thermistor - Sensor range Test
> > Test Results: Fail
> > Error Code 3900:0626
> > Msg: Temperature sensor out of range temp=0C min=10C max=100C
> >
> > ditto for
> > Other Thermistor
> > Video Thermistor
> > SODIMM Thermistor
> >
> > except these three reported temp=255C
> >
> > which probably accounts for the fan on.
> >
> > The theory is that the CPU and/or memory and/or cache gets throttled
> > and the whole thing runs extremely slowly, and that's why you don't
> > get a desktop for ten minutes.
> >
> > Since 2 recent 6400's both failed, I'd assume that they all do.
> >
> > A software fix would seem to be easy. Don't believe 255C at bootup.
> >
> > --
> > Ron Hardin
> > rhhardin(a)mindspring.com
> >
> > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.
>
> Since you recently purchased both and both apparently failed (Dell)
> installed diagnostics, you'd be calling Dell to get the problem repaired by
> explaining what you've done and providing this exact fail code to the tech
> on the phone/chat/or e-mail.
>
> In my experience, giving them that specific fail code is enough to avoid any
> scripted questions and expedite onsite hardware replacement or a mail in
> service call.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Stew

Well, replacement is an option; I'd rather keep the machines and get a software
fix, I've spent so long getting them set up the way I wanted.

It would seem that you could ignore a temp of 255C on bootup pretty safely, if
that's all it takes. The things operate beautifully otherwise.

--
Ron Hardin
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com

From: Jay B on
foolish to not call dell, give them the error codes, and tlet them fix
the problem.
you can always pop out the harddrive if you dont trust them.
they shouldnt need it to fix that problem.

From: paulmd on
I haven't followed the saga too closely, but it often pays to look in
the bios revision history, if you haven't already done so. See below.

Ron Hardin wrote:
> Ok, in the slow-boot Inspiron saga, I put both of my I6400's, one
> a month old, one two weeks, in an unheated bedroom (48 F) for an
> hour and ran the diagnostic CD custom test on the thermal sensors.
>
> CPU Thermistor - Sensor range Test
> Test Results: Fail
> Error Code 3900:0626
> Msg: Temperature sensor out of range temp=0C min=10C max=100C
>
> ditto for
> Other Thermistor
> Video Thermistor
> SODIMM Thermistor
>
> except these three reported temp=255C
>
> which probably accounts for the fan on.
>
> The theory is that the CPU and/or memory and/or cache gets throttled
> and the whole thing runs extremely slowly, and that's why you don't
> get a desktop for ten minutes.
>
> Since 2 recent 6400's both failed, I'd assume that they all do.
>
> A software fix would seem to be easy. Don't believe 255C at bootup.
>
> --
> Ron Hardin
> rhhardin(a)mindspring.com
>
> On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R143459&SystemID=INSPIRONI6400/E1505&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=10430&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=6&formatcnt=1&libid=1&fileid=191473
Latest is a12.

Click the "other versions" link, to browse older revisions.

BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061,
A11
1. Thermal control enhancement.

BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061,
A08

Enhancements
6. Update thermal control.

BIOS: Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505 System BIOS, English, Inspiron MM061,
A07

Enhancements
1. Improve system performance.