From: Tony P. on
Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 and noticed that recently the clock has been
losing time.
I would like to replace the cmos battery but cant find any documentation
from Dell that
shows how to do it. I don't even know what type of battery to use. Is there
somewhere
where I could get instructions on how to do this?

-

Thanks,
Tony

From: Christopher Muto on

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8500/en/8500/sm/reserve.htm#1123661
From: Christopher Muto on
Christopher Muto wrote:
> Tony P. wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 and noticed that recently the clock has
>> been losing time.
>> I would like to replace the cmos battery but cant find any
>> documentation from Dell that
>> shows how to do it. I don't even know what type of battery to use. Is
>> there somewhere
>> where I could get instructions on how to do this?
>>
>> -
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tony
>>

> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8500/en/8500/sm/reserve.htm#1123661

ps. it is a w0124 battery. under $15 on ebay.
From: Tony P. on
I have already seen this article from Dell. Unfortunately, it is describing
a laptop other than the Inspiron 8600. My battery compartment
doesn't have a separate compartment for a cmos battery. I think I have to
get to the motherboard somehow. I couldn't find any compartments
that gave me access to the cmos battery.

Thanks anyway,
Tony

From: Christopher Muto on
Tony P. wrote:
> I have already seen this article from Dell. Unfortunately, it is describing
> a laptop other than the Inspiron 8600. My battery compartment
> doesn't have a separate compartment for a cmos battery. I think I have to
> get to the motherboard somehow. I couldn't find any compartments
> that gave me access to the cmos battery.
>
> Thanks anyway,
> Tony
>

> Christopher Muto wrote:
>> Christopher Muto wrote:

>>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8500/en/8500/sm/reserve.htm#1123661
>>>
>> ps. it is a w0124 battery. under $15 on ebay.

there are two versions of the 8600, one with a parallel port and one
without. if you mention what you have perhaps someone else will try to
help you.