From: Grant on
On Jul 5, 5:53 pm, Grant <gra...(a)dunsmoreinfo.com> wrote:
> I have just got my VO 2.8 app to the stage where I'd like to create an
> installable version but my 2.6 Install Maker doesn't work. I couldn't
> find one for 2.8. does it exist and if not is there something else
> available for download? I guess I can do it all manually but I liked
> using the 2.6 version as it simplified making setup a setup disk.
> Thanks for any help.
> Grant

Thanks for all the advice. I downloaded and tried the INNO and NSIS
products. The INNO product works well.
I also downloaded the ISTOOL and installed it but haven't tried it
yet. My script is very simple. Also I downloaded the Advanced
Installer demo
but haven't tried it yet either. I will get to it but right now very
busy trying to keep the business going.

Just one question - is there any way to know which dll's and rd files
are needed by the app? I have just included them all
in the build but that seems to be a waste of space.

Thanks for all your help and info
Grant
From: Stephen Quinn on
Grant

Just one question - is there any way to know which dll's and rd files
are needed by the app? I have just included them all
in the build but that seems to be a waste of space.
<<

1) DAGS* - Dependency Walker
2) Install your app into a VM and run it - copy over the missing DLLs that
the error report(s) indicate.
3) Use an Installer that can identify the required DLLs and include them
into your script for you.

* Do A Google Search

CYA
Steve

From: Geoff Schaller on
No.

Like Steve says, put VO into an empty folder and run it. Progressively
add the dlls needed to make it work. Some are required only at runtime
so If you use the function/class, make sure you add the dll that matches
the dependency you added to make the compiler work.

Geoff

From: Kevin on
Grant,

In the CAVO28 folder there is a folder called Redist which has a
collection of the files needed for redistribution. If you look at the
Redist.txt file you can see what files are needed by what areas, for
example RDDs. This will give you start. Put copies of the DLLs you need
from here in an empty folder along with your EXE and DLLs and then run
your app. Copy any missing DLLs to this folder one by one.

The file mentioned above will, obviously, not list any files from third
parties such as bBrowser or VO2ADO you may have. Refer to their
documentation. Don't forget the files from any OCXs that you may be
using - check their documentation.

Hope this helps.

Kevin